ADT HOme Security Quote

Options
Hi All,

Has anyone else had home security with ADT? As I'm just trying to work out what's best for my first house I have just built.

The ADT engineer came out and had a look around and this what we came to:

- ADT interactive wireless package
- Keyholder Response package (Visonic PM360)
- Keyholder response by mobile network
- Maintenance warranty cover 36 months

- Contact Door Ground Hall
- Keypad Ground Hall
- Detector stair well
- Siren Ceiling
- Detector Lounge
- Control Panel Lounge (broadband)
- Decoy Box front of house
- Decoy Box back of house
- Package Upgrade - Interactive lights, Lamp Use.
- Movement detector 1st floor hallway

Total Price: £373 equipment and installation then £33 per month Maintenance

Can anyone advise if this is a good quote? We live in a new build 3 storey semi detached house. The reason for wanting home security is our room is on the 3rd floor and our daughters the second. Not bothered about valuable items.

We would definitely like security from a reputable company.

Is wireless the way forward?
Is the panel provided, touch screen and modern?
Should we have contact points on the back door and window aswell?
Should we have police link and not just named numbers?
Is the interactive lights a waste of money?

Thanks for your timr

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you get for your £33 per month maintenance, i.e. what do they actually do every month?
  • WCN87
    WCN87 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Maintenance charges, and where applicable monitoring telecommunication charges and interactive services per month. The guy said if any problems with any equipment etc they will rectify
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    My approach is you are getting little kit, and being tied into a never ending money commitment that will cost you dearly.

Numerous issues here, but I suggest you buy your own equipment. or get somebody to buy and install it. This will be a fraction of what you will pay ADT. Over 10 years you will have paid ADT £3960 plus increases for inflation and whatever. You will get almost nothing in return.

I had a large house set up albeit with a wired system. Numerous PIR, two control panels, and every window and door covered by PIR. The cost was under £1000, and much of this was, understandably, the labour for wiring.

Any contacts on windows and doors may invalidate their guarantees.

Why think of a Police contact system when the Police are too busy with other concerns to respond?

You may desire gadgets, but if you buy your own, the wise move would be to keep things simple, but thorough.
  • MonsieurFrugal
    Options
    Have a look at the bell boxes around your town, whoever has most is the local alarm company. Get a quote from them aswell. £33pm without police response is dear
    pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=39350&sid=35952
  • WCN87
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    My approach is you are getting little kit, and being tied into a never ending money commitment that will cost you dearly.

Numerous issues here, but I suggest you buy your own equipment. or get somebody to buy and install it. This will be a fraction of what you will pay ADT. Over 10 years you will have paid ADT £3960 plus increases for inflation and whatever. You will get almost nothing in return.

I had a large house set up albeit with a wired system. Numerous PIR, two control panels, and every window and door covered by PIR. The cost was under £1000, and much of this was, understandably, the labour for wiring.

Any contacts on windows and doors may invalidate their guarantees.

Why think of a Police contact system when the Police are too busy with other concerns to respond?

You may desire gadgets, but if you buy your own, the wise move would be to keep things simple, but thorough.

Good point, so police response you feel is not a big deal to have?

To be honest, Like most things I can afford paying a monthly cost, but not such a big outlay on equipment for self install.

I'm going to go back to the ADT rep and let him know that the cost is too much, and see what he comes back with.
  • WCN87
    Options
    Have a look at the bell boxes around your town, whoever has most is the local alarm company. Get a quote from them aswell. £33pm without police response is dear

Thanks I will do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport