Sunday 31st July OS Daily

edited 31 July 2016 at 6:19AM in Old Style MoneySaving
15 replies 1.6K views
redrubyredruby Forumite
7.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 31 July 2016 at 6:19AM in Old Style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning all,

Looks to be a nice day here again off to work for me ( I get fed up sying that !) but last day then two days off then an easy week next week.

Evie had her haircut and I must say looks very cute indeed she really is a tiny dog with long legs which is why she is so fast. I have put some photos on my FB.

OH cooking today Im not sure what, yesterday he cooked a spag bol which was really delicious it is nice coming home to a cooked meal. He also tidied through bless him. He said he will change the beds today to save me doing them tomorrow.

Right better get on have good days all xx

Replies

• TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks for the start REDRUBY. A glorious morning here with blue, blue sky and wall to wall sunshine. Long may it last!

We have a big family gathering today. That's the trouble with Mr TA's family, every event has to be turned into a massive celebration. One of our nephews has a placement in the far east for two years and SIL thought it would be a good idea if the family met up to give him a send-off. I should have known how these things escalate and the gathering, at the last count, came to 50 (and still growing) so the venue is now the pub in the village where they live. Thank goodness it's a nice day as it's in its own grounds and we can all congregate outside.

I'm not bothering with a Sunday lunch, we'll just have something light before we leave for the "kick-off" (2 pm) and then order a bar meal later. It has a good reputation for food so that will be the best bit!

Have a nice day if you can and (((HUGS))) where wanted. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all and thanks RR for starting the thread off. Lovely evening at my sis-in-laws surprise 70th party,apart from some poor chap keeling over and being taken off to hospital with a suspected stroke. I hope he is OK ,I am going to see my sis-in-law before I go home this morning and will see if she has found out how he is.

She was astounded at everyone who turned up as she certainly didn't have a clue about the party It was held in the upstairs function room of a local pub in Faversham and the staff had told her that because it was Saturday night would she mind having her meal in the upstairs part of the pub.Unsuspectingly she said no and I was by the door and could here her saying to her son 'Oh well at least they have fittted us in OK' :) Her face was a picture when she came in to a packed room with folk from all over the place that she knew for years even from when she lived in Oxfordshire before she moved to Faversham 13 years ago :)

After I have seen her I shall be wending my way home then picking up DD and boys and we are going to the beach,probably Westgate as its our favourite one.I am hoping her mouth is a bit better today after her extractions and stitches the other day

Have a good Sunday chums

JackieO xx
  • edited 31 July 2016 at 7:01AM
    nmlcnmlc Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2016 at 7:01AM
    Morning everyone

redruby - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, bright blue sky and sunshine - not sure how long it's going to stay like that though.

DH now in the bath, I'm enjoying a cuppa and brekkie whilst on here, I'll be going for a shower shortly. Boys still in their pits.

Menfolk did the errand yesterday whilst I was at work, our friend is coming over first thing to assist DH sort a repair at the caravan, I'll be prepping pack ups and lunch, then hopefully once all those jobs are done, I'll have a chilled afternoon before going back to work tomorrow. Lunch is going to be roast pork, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, HG green beans, peas, yorkshires and gravy. Dinner last night was chicken and prawn korma, rice, naan breads, poppadums and side of samosas and onion bhajis - all eaten and enjoyed - except DH who moaned he could taste coconut and that the prawns weren't big enough - just didn't say a word, both boys and myself loved it, it was the most authentic curry I've ever made, used korma paste, then made it with coconut milk (made it more the way it should be made, not just used a jar of sauce). So I've decided if I make that sort of dish again, It'll be a jar of ready made sauce for DH's dinner, and he'll get chicken and curry sauce, myself and the boys will get a curry of our choice made how I want to make it. He soon retreated when I didn't argue and went quiet, strangely enough he ate it all too.

Have peaceful Sundays' everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread RR.
    Enjoy your family get together TA.
    I have a cooked chicken in the fridge that I bought reduced in Mr T's I'm going to turn it in to a batch of chicken ham and mushroom pies for hubby's lunches next week. He will have a burger in a bun for lunch whilst watching the GP.
    I did all the washing and housework yesterday so today I will go cat feeding and then do some more decorating.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • dumplingdumpling Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone :wave:

It's a lovely bright morning here. All the rest of the family are snoring away so I have come downstairs for some breakfast and a cuppa.

JackieO, I hope the surprise party went well.
    redruby, Evie sounds so cute, what breed of dog is she?

I was supposed to be having a quiet day today but my friend rang yesterday to tell me she was coming over for a few hours this afternoon. Unfortunately, she sounds quite unwell again making up stories about her past and her family. I usually just smile and nod when she starts but I have the girls here today and I don't think her stories are very appropriate for them to hear. It's a difficult one.

There are just over 2 weeks till my eldest daughter's wedding and I am freaking out big time style. I just don't know if I will be able to face it which sounds awful as it's my lovely DD's wedding day but I keep having nightmares about it all. I know I just need to get on with it and not do anything to spoil her day. I am starting psychotherapy on Monday so hopefully they will help me find a way through these feelings.

It's hubbys turn to cook today and I think we are having a roast lamb dinner. It will be lovely as he does a mean roast with homemade yorkshires and fresh veg. He does cheat with frozen roasties though but as I don't have them I don't mind :).

The house is looking a bit messy so the girls will be chivvied along into tidying up. It's mostly their rubbish lying around anyway. I love having them home but they certainly generate a lot of mess.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT] :hello:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]camelot Yes I've wondered about getting another dog. I've had some advice and as he guarded me for quite a long time, it's likely that he'll guard a new dog too. So I'd have to work on that for a while. But that should be the only issue because I would go to Scampi's rescue centre, they match a dog to you and your dog, they'll get them to meet and and if they get on OK at the first meeting, will insist on quite a few meetings and walks to make sure they're well-matched. Having said all that, I haven't decided yet :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I can't believe I found that chalet, I'm so pleased :D I trawled through the Aspects website a few times and somehow missed it each time, I ended up finding it in last years brochure, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi was rolling on the grass at the park, he rolled over my foot and undid my lace. I couldn't get down to do it back up, my neighbour came along with his dog and asked what on earth are you doing, you look like some sort of strange contortionist that can't contort :D I said that's about right actually, I can't even reach my foot. So he did my lace up for me, I felt about five years old :D:D [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When I put the tomato plants in the greenhouse, someone gave me four plants – two varieties – that I've never tried before. I've tried loads over the years and settled on two, so although I was grateful for the plants (which they grew from seed) I didn't really want them but planted them anyway because I felt I should, lol. One type is triffidous, had hardly any flowers and grew 0 tomatoes, the other has tomatoes so small it's not worth bothering with. I'll pull out the triffids today then decide whether to bother looking after the mini ones. I haven't got anything else planned for today.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone.

Another lovely day ahead I think. :j

Yesterday I did they planned batch cooking of liver and onions. It all turned out so tasty I ate some for lunch. When I put all the cooked food from Friday into the freezer I decided to defrost it. The bottom drawer had so much ice underneath it could hardly fit. So, every blessed thing out and covered in newspaper. Luckily it didn't take too long.

On the downside there was so much meat which had freezer burn and looked awful. I've put it all in one drawer and will defrost and check it all out. Again, just made the point that it's useless bunging a pound of minced meat into the freezer in its packet - I need to make something with it first.

RR - Evie sounds so 'different' now. What a difference a hair cut makes.

TA - hope you have a good family gathering. Maybe it'll turn out as good as JackieO's

I have no set plans for today though I'm sure it'll involve a walk at some point. Yesterday, as I driving back from a neighbours place, I spotted an old building I'd been looking for, way up on a hill so it couldn't be seen from the road. Now I know where it is I can explore it.

Anyway, last day of July, happy Sunday everyone.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright and sunny here, think it's the last nice day for a while so will make the most of it.

We really enjoyed the steam rally yesterday afternoon, it was the first time it had been held in Mum's village and folks had certainly turned out in good numbers. There was lots to see, craft stalls and plenty for the kiddies to enjoy. Mum did well, walked down to the meadow, all around the stalls and thoroughly enjoyed her favourite ice-cream from a van, an oyster shell :) She is being picked up by my brother today and staying with them ahead of the scan tomorrow, obviously she is worried but certainly feels boosted by being able to eat properly.
    We came home laden with cheese scones and a lemon drizzle cake so DOH is very happy as well :)
    Today will be a lazy day, spent in the garden, enjoying the fine weather while we can.

RR, glad Evie looks smart with her new hair cut, I sorted Tilly's ears yesterday and they are much better.
    JACKIE, what a lovely surprise for your SIL, hope the poorly man is ok.
    Hugs to dear DUMPLING, you are a good friend but please take care of yourself as well petal x

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • carolbeecarolbee Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Listening to the local BBC gardening radio show and pottering with a cuppa, perfect Sunday morning.

JackieO, the party sounds lovely,

Dinner tonight is bits that need using up, whatever they may be!

Hugs to those that need them, Dumpling, hope all goes well with your friend, and your first session this week.
    Carolbee
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, thanks for the thread RedRuby X

Lovely and bright here today. We are off to the in laws for a BBQ later as its FIL and SIL to be birthday tomorrow and BIL on 10th. All presents bought and wrapped. Managed to get FIL some Kent wine from a vineyard close to where they live in Marden. I got a leaflet on it which gives details of tours, so they may like to do that provided the wine tastes good - at £16.50 for the white and £21.99 for the red I should blooming hope so!

Will make a lemon drizzle to take with us. Having split muffins with egg and bacon for brunch once DH and the children get up.

JackieO - sounds like you had a lovely time, but sorry to hear about that poor chap. Hope he's ok.
    TA - enjoy the family get together
    nmlc - my husband is a food snob and particularly over prawns. I'm of the opinion he can cook for himself if he doesn't like it!

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Christmas Card Exchange
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides