America short notice – how short ?

Thinking of a short break to the U.S. of A. Not been there for 15 years, so I don't know what all requirements there are now.

Can you suggest how long before travel it's necessary to book so that the paperwork can be processed, please? Thanks

Comments

• Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 30 July 2016 at 8:32PM
    You get an instant decision when you apply for an ESTA online. Assuming you get approved, all you need is a valid passport.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A week if you already have your passport! VISA approval can be done online so just book a last min deal or wait for standby for a super cheap flight and go! Have a great trip :)
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Apply for your ESTA before you book anything, just in case you are refused.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Great, thanks all, that's good news. Do you need to already have your accommodation booked when you apply for the ESTA? Just thought I heard someone say that once so may well be wrong.. couldn't see it mentioned on the first page of the helpful link Misty Blue posted, but perhaps it's implied in 'contact details'?
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If your ESTA application is approved then you don't need a visa.

Be sure to use the official site for the ESTA. Rip-off sites charge much more.

If you plan to rent a car then you'll need a credit card.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Great, thanks all, that's good news. Do you need to already have your accommodation booked when you apply for the ESTA? Just thought I heard someone say that once so may well be wrong.. couldn't see it mentioned on the first page of the helpful link Misty Blue posted, but perhaps it's implied in 'contact details'?

On the application form if you don't know the details , you are able to say you don't know.

However when we went to NY in March we did this on the esta application but had to give our hotel details when checking in at the airport.
  • I hope it's all right to ask here - or, if this would by hijacking, should I make a separate question, please? I would like to apply for an ESTA, although my holiday is not finalised yet, and the ESTA form asks about present or previous employment and employer's name and address etc. I have worked in the past although I took early retirement about fourteen years ago and I receive my state pension now.

The place I last worked at has been demolished and does not exist anymore. Should I just click 'no' because I am retired and cannot enter my most recent employment place details.

Thank you
    Deleted_User
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope it's all right to ask here - or, if this would by hijacking, should I make a separate question, please? I would like to apply for an ESTA, although my holiday is not finalised yet, and the ESTA form asks about present or previous employment and employer's name and address etc. I have worked in the past although I took early retirement about fourteen years ago and I receive my state pension now.

The place I last worked at has been demolished and does not exist anymore. Should I just click 'no' because I am retired and cannot enter my most recent employment place details.

Thank you
    Deleted_User

I'm retired too and I clicked NO. My ESTA was authorised immediately.
  • kimplus8 wrote: »
    A week if you already have your passport! VISA approval can be done online so just book a last min deal or wait for standby for a super cheap flight and go! Have a great trip :)

Standby flights to the US don't generally exist unless you're airline staff. If you do book at the very last minute flights are likely to be extremely expensive, as they're targeted at business travellers.

As already noted, if OP qualifies for ESTA they do not need a visa. If they do need a visa they would need to visit an embassy (with an appointment), and this should process should be started several months in advance.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kimplus8 wrote: »

Travel advice from the 1980s.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport