Can you claim JSA & Carers and work??

Hi,

Recently I had a mental break down and attempted suicide due to stress of an ESA assessment.

My mum works full time and decided to give her notice in as caring for me and working is too much.

Will she be entitled to JSA even though she left her job? I get PIP so I think she will be entitled to carers allowance? (She doesn't get this yet).

Will she be able to work up to 16 hours if claiming these benefits while caring for me?

Thank you x

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    She can't get JSA and carers, it's one or the other.

JSA she would have to be looking and applying for work, and would have to take a job if offered. She may be sanctioned for leaving her job.

Carer's allowance means she has to be caring for you for at least 35 hours per week. She's allowed to work for up to 16 hours per week and earn (I think) £115 a week after stoppages including pension contributions.

If you live alone you may find you're financially better off with her not claiming for you, and you getting the severe disablement premium on your ESA (if you're claiming it and getting income based) and paying for care.

If your mum claims CA she'd get her stamp paid.

Does your mum live alone or does she have a partner? How old are you and do you live alone? There are valid reasons for asking these questions.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    She may be able to claim Income Support for caring responsibilities:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Income-Support/What-is-Income-Support
    £73 pw

Or -

She could claim Carers Allowance & continue working reduced hours. But she could not earn more than £110 pw and retain the £62 Carers Allowance fot that week.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

She may wish to visit her local CAB for a benefit check re the various options.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure