We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

5 foot posts but want a 6 foot fence

Options
Our back fence is 5 foot but we are taking down some trees and will need the fence to be 6 foot for privacy. The concrete posts are well firmed in and it would be a nightmare to take them out. We could put up a completely new 6 foot fence in front of it, but it might look horrible from my neighbours side. Someone has suggested attaching trellis of some sort but I am not sure how this could be done ? attaching the sides as there would be no post to attach it to.

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Attach horizontal batons across the existing posts then attach vertical slats to the batons to give you the height that you need.
  • medsec_222
    medsec_222 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Cant visualise exactly what you mean - Each extra bit will have nothing to attach to its sides and there will be spaces in between them. Sorry if I am misunderstanding here.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just buy fully framed 6ft featheredge panels and it will look fine. Infill between the banels where the post is with wood the size of the concrete post and paint if your that worried
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    1449742514760389.jpg

Back of the fence
  • medsec_222
    edited 30 July 2016 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I think we will get the fence factory to come and look at it on Monday. We need the trees taken down and they will do that as well. I have looked out of my back bedroom window and someone six or seven gardens up seem to have done something similar.

Was thinking of using the existing panels as they are in very good condition and attaching some sort of trellis to the top. Would that work or not?
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used these. http://www.cocklestorm.com/garden-fencing/fence-post-extensions
    They have blown down in gales but mostly are just fine.

Should be fairly easy to make yourself.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Or these with a foot of new post in the top of each, assuming the existing posts are wooden 75x75

http://www.diy.com/rooms/metpost-steel-post-extender-w75mm-d75mm/38172_BQ.prd

then you will have space for your 1 foot trellis between.
  • medsec_222
    Options
    Thanks everyone - the fence factory man came this morning to have a look at the job. They are getting rid of the conifers for us. He looked at the existing fencing. He said the concrete posts were fine and suggested removing the old fence panels and putting in 5' panels. He will make wooden fillers for the gaps between. It all sounded OK so we have given him the go ahead. Can't wait to get rid of the confers now.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    medsec_222 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - the fence factory man came this morning to have a look at the job. They are getting rid of the conifers for us. He looked at the existing fencing. He said the concrete posts were fine and suggested removing the old fence panels and putting in 5' panels. He will make wooden fillers for the gaps between. It all sounded OK so we have given him the go ahead. Can't wait to get rid of the confers now.

im glad someone has the same thoughts as i do :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure