PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does your slow cooker bubble or boil?

Options
Hi

I have bought an Antony Worrall Thomson slow cooker, but since this is my first one I am not sure how they should behave. I wouldn't have expected a slow cooker to boil but the instruction booklet warns that if you operate the slow cooker on high it will boil.

Mine doesn't boil or bubble or anything like that, and I wondered if anyone could tell me whether their slow cooker boils or bubbles whilst cooking? I just want to make sure that mine isn't faulty.

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, I am new to the Old Style boards

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi lbt,

Welcome to the Old Style board. :)

Mine bubbles gently when it's set on high, but it's 23 years old so is a 'slower' cooker than most modern ones.

It takes a while to 'get to know' your machine....have you used it yet and is the food cooked properly and the meat tender?

Pink
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    Hi. My sc does bubble eventually, even on the low setting, but it is just a very gentle bubbling. I would think it has to reach about boiling temperature to ensure the food is properly cooked. Remember, though, it does take several hours for it to reach that high temperature.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• LOOYATES
    Options
    Hi mines like that too, it bubbles very gently after a while, sometimes only round the edge like pw said you'll get to know it after a few times, and realise what an invaluble piece of kit it is...i love my sc i do........:D
    pats :T
  • lbt_2
    lbt_2 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the very warm welcome.

I have used it once and the food was hot, but the chicken felt a bit tough. I have had it switched on for the last few days with boiling water in it because it had a funny smell when I first used it and it put me off the food.

The book says that you may seen a haze during the initial heating of the internal components the first time you use it, so I just put it down to that.

I am sure that different foods would react differently, but surely water would bubble at least??

I have called the Breville help line but the woman I spoke to didn't really know.

Hmmm, maybe I'll take it back and get a different one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi lbt,

If I were you I'd perservere with the one that you have....personally I find a slow cooker better for tougher cuts of meat such as braising steak/stewing steak etc rather than chicken, but others who post on here find it great for chicken.

The one most highly recommended on the Old Style board recently is this one from Argos. It's reduced from £33.97 to £22.64 at the moment. My sister has it and says it's fabulous.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Pink
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    If the chicken was a bit tough, maybe you didn't cook it quite long enough. When I do chicken it literally falls off the bone. Even if you put dry meat and veg in you always get some stock off it.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• lbt_2
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

How funny!! I was just looking at the MR one as I got your message.

Hmm I am in two minds now! :)

Thanks again.
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lbt wrote: »
    How funny!! I was just looking at the MR one as I got your message.

Hmm I am in two minds now! :)

Thanks again.

I know, I am sorely tempted even though I don't really need it....it's a big beggar though! Do you have a family or are you into batch cooking that would justify the size?

Pink
  • lbt_2
    Options
    Hi Pink

Both! There are four of us, but I have two young children so I do tend to cook in huge batches as I don't have time to cook a proper meal from scratch every day.

My oldest has just started back at school so my one year old is feeling a bit lost. She has been hanging on my leg asking for a cuddle all morning, which makes it even more difficult to get anything done - not that I am complaining of course. :)

It's just finding somewhere to put it though!
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Then if I were you, I'd go for it....

We have three children and have recently found that due to increasing appetites that, although ours (4ltr) is great for meat etc it's not big enough to throw in the potatoes therefore making the whole meal in one pot.

Can you tell that I'm talking myself into buying one?? :D

Though as you say, where the heck am I going to put it :confused:

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills