Are banks legally obliged to stick to their interest free period offers?

thaddeus_2
thaddeus_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 29 July 2016 at 8:22PM in Credit cards
Sorry if this has been asked before - I did try a search!

When banks offer a credit card with an interest free period (e.g. 12 months) are they legally obliged to keep the credit card interest free for that period? Or can they decide at any point to introduce an interest charge?

The reason I ask is that I signed up to Halifax's 24 month interest free credit card (via this website - would be great if anyone could verify the offer!) in November 2014. This month - 18 months in - they have moved to an interest rate of ~18%.

Having checked the statement last month it did state - on page 3 of 4 - that they were going to do so and I hold my hands up for not noticing that. Nevertheless though, should Halifax have been able to do this?

Many thanks for any help/advice

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No. Unless you breached the terms.

What exactly did the message say?
  • Thanks for the replies.

The message about the interest rate change was a fairly generic one: "Retail promotion expiry message: From 08 Jul 2016 your rate will be 18.95% p.a."

Frustratingly I can't find anything on any document - from the agreement through any of the monthly statements - which states how long the interest free period was. All I have is my own record that it was 24 months (and that I've never signed up to a card with less).
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you sure it was 24 months? A quick check of the archived MSE weekly emails from November 2014 shows Halifax had a market leading 20 month 0% offer. This would broadly tie in with a July 2016 expiry date.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    That message would suggest is was a shorter term than you thought. Contact them for clarification.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Your card came stuck to a set of T&Cs, otherwise known as a credit agreement...which you filed away safely for future reference. ;)

The 0% promotional rate period is given there in section 4 "interest rates".
  • I think you might have solved the mystery YorkshireBoy. My stupidity.

I'll just have to suck this one up, pay the interest for July and improve my filing system, memory, reading etc.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Not many posters come back and admit they have made a mistake - well done for that.
    Going forward it is probably easier to get an even longer interest free card today than in 2014/2015 so if your credit files are good apply away.
  • hunnycat
    hunnycat Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i got a barclays 37 month interest free balance transfer card recently and got charged interest as had defaulted due to being new to contactless i had not realised it wasnt instant! quick call to them and they have reinstated my promotion.
    would love to win an ipad!
    A-Z Challenge - ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    note the offers are usually "UPTO XX months"

My guess when you got the card you was only offered a shorter period. Not everyone who gets approved gets the best terms, its similar to the APR been changed for different customers also depending on credit risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure