Credit score of 0: how bad is that?

I recently found out that my Experian credit score is a big fat zero!

The reason why: a mobile phone company issued a default notice against me for the sum of twenty-five pounds. In the short term I presume that means I can forget about stoozing or anything else that involves making new applications for credit. In the medium term... I have a mortgage and owe thousands of pounds on interest-free credit cards, and each month am making all payments due (hundreds of pounds). I shall be making a repayment of about 4,000 pounds in the next few days since an interest-free deal has just finished.

Common sense suggests that after a few months of this any lender will see that I am behaving like a responsible user of credit, but is that not how they make decisions? And in any case, should I be worried? I do not anticipate needing to borrow money again.

Obviously I do not believe that the defaulted charge was actually owed to them, but communicating with them is such a monumental pain that I would rather not waste time and energy attempting to get the default removed.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wow a zero that some the worst I've seen a credit score reported as.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    It's probably worth checking the other companies as a zero for one default sounds like a boo-boo to me. There's more than one credit file company, Experian aren't gods.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    At least its not a minus.

Win. Win.

Maybe its really 1000 but they have no room for the extra three digits?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Voyager2002,
    While it is possible to have an Experian Credit Score of zero, we would not expect to see this if you have just the one default on your credit report.
    If you have just registered for the CreditExpert service and logged in for the first time the Experian Score it is possible that you score will show as zero. This is because your credit report, that the score is calculated from, will not yet have been generated.
    Once the credit report is generated then the score will be automatically regenerated.
    If your score is still zero after the report is produced please [EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]get in touch [/EMAIL]and we will be able to take a look at it for you to see why it is so low.
    Kind regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't pay for a credit score, but this is a free service included with my Barclaycard on-line servicing. So perhaps there is a technical glitch somewhere...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wouldn't be particularly worried about it as no lender uses the credit score generated by Experian. Lenders use your past dealings with them, income, marital status, number of dependents, residential status as well as your credit history (note that's history not score) stored with one or more credit reference agencies.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Voyager2002.

As you have the free score with Barclaycard give us a quick call on 0800 052 5220 or 0344 481 0068 and we can get this checked for you.

Kind regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport