PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house without a party wall agreement

Options
2»

Comments

• Gemsi110
    Gemsi110 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    I too am confused as to what 'indemnity' the sellers are offering? In what circumstances would this insurance pay out, and to cover what risk?

A deed drawn up with the seller will not bind the neighbours in any way. It will not stop them objecting to any work you later propose. Only a Deed with the neighbours could do that.

If you read the links I gave to you'll find that both owners of a party wall have rights, and obligations. Read upon the rights you would have.

If you applied for Planning Permission to extend, the neighbour could, like anyne else, enter an objection which the council Planners would consider when deciding whether or not to grant planning consent.

We agree the idemity is not help in this situation. We were wanting a deed between the two neighbours stating we can extend etc. Why we are so bothered is this was never brought to our attention when viewing the property. It was only revealed in the sellers pack under the question could anything cause a dispute. Im tempted to knock on the neighbours door to see what her reaction is to us extending and changing the garage.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gemsi110 wrote: »
    We were wanting a deed between the two neighbours stating we can extend etc.

But as long as you comply with the law, the neighbours can't stop you building an extension.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is there garage. The property next door attached there garage roof to our wall

Yes and since you will be doing work on their garage roof, they could object and worst case you won't get permission and won't be able to extend which seems to be your main aim.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ..... Im tempted to knock on the neighbours door to see what her reaction is to us extending and changing the garage.
    Emmmm... I don't understand. Were you considering not knocking on their door?

I would always speak to the neighbours before buying a property (both sides, above/below in a flat, maybe over the road) whatever the circumstances.
  • Gemsi110
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Emmmm... I don't understand. Were you considering not knocking on their door?

I would always speak to the neighbours before buying a property (both sides, above/below in a flat, maybe over the road) whatever the circumstances.

Really! Never done that before when I bought the house I'm in now and nobody I know has ever done that. But may have to this time
  • Gemsi110
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Yes and since you will be doing work on their garage roof, they could object and worst case you won't get permission and won't be able to extend which seems to be your main aim.

Yes you are right. This house seems to be throwing everything at us! The one we have now never had any issues!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neighbours will tell you things about the house, and the neighbourhood, that the seller and their estate agent never will.

And if they all slam the door in your face and refuse to talk to you, well, you've learned something very useful about your future neighbours!

How you choose to act on information they give you, or refuse to give you, is up to you, but the information itself is invaluable in making a decision.........
  • Adviceneeded1988
    Options
    My neighbour has just told us he wants our conservatory pulled down beucase it is built against his extension (on the party wall I presume).

The conservatory has been in place 14 years and was built by the previous owners.

Can he make us pull it down or does he havd no rights as he hasn't had a problem with it within the past 14 years?

Thank you
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    @Adviceneeded1988

Can you please start a new thread rather than hijacking someone elses. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure