Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my restaurant vouchers?

Options

Comments

• fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    Bonjour13 wrote: »
    Surely sharing good fortune is what friendship is about, isn't it?

But if you really don't want to do that, save the vouchers for another time when it's just you and/or family

It isn't good fortune, they've effectively bought the vouchers. I'd pay up as normal this time and save the vouchers for when you are eating out on your own and save all the hassle.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    If it was me, to use the vouchers when with a group of friends, I would share the saving.
    If that's not so appealing then, as other posters suggest, just use them to treat yourself / your family.

I wouldn't call it "stingy" to not share but at the same time I would personally think it a bit weird.
  • chris5100
    Options
    I think it really depends. If your friends have a taste card or other offer this cant be combined with your vouchers. I would be very unhappy paying full price when there are specials on.

However if there are no offers in the restaurant then sure why not.

Alternatively you could book a separate table and hope you can sit adjacent to your friends.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Some of the group will pay by credit card,maybe debit card,others may even use cash so what you use as currency is entirely up to you.Some advice,when you arrive at the restaurant check with the staff that the vouchers are acceptable which could save a lot of embarrasment.Also pay only for what you have and don't agree to split the bill.Some have tried that on us before,12 of us and the split bill was £46,we pointed out that our bill amounted to £28 and that's what we paid.
  • jorok
    jorok Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Just share the cost of the meal with your friends and keep the voucher to use on yourself at another time.
  • ThriftyMummySam
    Options
    Out of my various different friendship groups i'm always the one to turn up for dinner with a voucher. I always have a browse for vouchers before we go out so if its £5 off £25 or 30% off I always share as it makes everyone's a little cheaper = good night out. However, if I am using a £10 voucher that I have gained from cashing in any points or cashback from something I will only use these against my meal which my friends understand as I am not exactly well off. In the past I have even used my Tesco quadrupled vouchers against my friends food and she's paid me back. I think its perfectly acceptable not to share ALL of the time.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I'm going to a restaurant with a group of friends later and I've exchanged some loyalty points for vouchers that I plan on using - is it stingy of me not to share them with the rest of the group?

If you had won the vouchers, it would be courteous to share. But loyalty points you have effectively paid for. If I get vouchers by doing surveys, I use them as cash, they're not a serendipitous bonus, I've worked for them.

I don't think it's in any way unreasonable to pay for your meal by vouchers, credit, debit, cash or whatever - what's the difference ?

As someone already said, though - DO check the restaurant accepts them, very embarrassing if they don't !
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Augustus_the_Strong Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2016 at 12:03PM
    Options
    I think as the vouchers were effectively free (ie you got them as a bonus for spending on something else, it's not as if you bought them direct) why not be generous and contribute them to reduce the total bill (at no cost) and feel better about yourself? Otherwise you might look a bit of a miser.

If you are in a situation where everyone pays their own individual bill, then use your vouchers, by all means.

None of this makes logical sense, but it's just about the vibes you are giving out.
  • Redog
    Redog Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Sorry but this is a no.
    If you are even considering using vouchers then maybe you should not be going out
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not at all. It was you who earned them, and your friends could have done the same had they wanted. Ask yourself - would any of THEM contribute towards the cost of your meal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure