Credit File Updates SLA

Hi,

I've been reviewing my credit file as planning to apply for a mortgage so wanted to get it in the best possible shape beforehand.

I noticed a few accounts on there for old accounts I no longer had open. For most of them I contacted the company and asked them to update my credit file to show they were closed, which they did within a couple of months so no problem.

However, for telecoms companies I've had real trouble getting the companies to update my file at all. In particular Virgin Mobile and ID Mobile...

For Virgin Mobile I closed my account in January 2015 which they confirmed as closed but it took many many calls to customer services over many months from January 2016 on 150 and on Twitter before they finally updated my credit file to show the account as closed in July 2016. So a total of 18 months delay before my credit file showed the correct information. I even put in a formal complaint but never had a response.

For ID Mobile I closed my account in September 2015 (moved to 3) but I'm still battling with them to get my credit file updated to show the account as closed, so that's been 10 months so far...

I've had to spend quite a lot of time on the phone to these companies to do something I feel should be automatic. My question is is there some SLA they have signed up to with regards to the maximum time they can take to update credit files? And if there is what is this maximum time and is there someone I can complaint to when they breach this SLA? At present it seems they can take as long as they want, with no repercussions. Although it's not a massive problem, having many open accounts showing on my file that aren't actually open is having a slightly negative impact on my credit file, so I feel these companies need to be accountable to provide up to date information.

Appreciate any information you might have, especially if there's something I can do to force ID Mobile to speed up their processes so it doesn't take over a year like Virgin did.

Many thanks!

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Plh56,

ID mobile are regulated by the Telecommunications Ombudsman. In a situation like this what I would suggest that you do is write/ email ID Mobile and formalise your complaint in writing, send copies of any evidence that you have and ask them to amend your credit file ASAP. You can also ask them for a copy of their own code of practice about what to do in situations like this.

They then have 8 weeks to then try and rectify your complaint to your satisfaction, if they fail to do this then you can complain to the ombudsman and copy in the Information Commissioner, who regulates the credit reference agencies.

There is a set of guidelines about credit file updates that you may find helpful when doing your complaint. That can be found here. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure