Dro and frozen account

Lori59
Lori59 Posts: 15 Forumite
Hi, could someone tell me if Barclays are allowed to freeze and then take funds from an account if I have a DRO in place?
The account in question used to be a joint account but I was not allowed to stay on it because of the DRO.
I have Barclaycard debt named on the DRO and the account is with Barclays
Tia
Lorraine

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    So the Barclays account is no longer in your name?

No, Barclays cannot use it to offset your debt.

Have you got a new account with someone else that you can use now?
  • Lori59
    That's correct. Barclays set us up with a basic account which we have jointly.
    I have a Lloyd's account that my PIP gets paid into.
    So the advice would be that we get an account with another provider.
    So what can my husband do about the account that's frozen please
    Lorraine
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Your husband should write to Barclays asking them to allow him access to the account as they don’t have the right to freeze it in relation to your debt.

He can then make a written complaint if they don’t comply, and then contact the FOS if the matter still isn’t resolved.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Lori59
    Thanks very much, I will tell him
    Lorraine
  • Lori59
    Sorry, follow up question.
    Would we be ok using a switching service to move our joint account?
    Also I am scared they will take money from the joint account.
    Would they have the right to do this?
    Lorraine
  • National_Debtline
    I don’t see why there would be an issue using a switching service. You can always ask the new bank before you apply.

A bank doesn’t have the right to take money from a joint account to service a debt in your sole name.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Lori59
    Thank you very much that's great.
    I started a new thread asking this but think you have answered everything.
    Sorry if I get confused but I have fibromyalgia and I am on lots of pain meds which affect my cognitive ability
    Lorraine
  • National_Debtline
    You’re welcome Lori, I’m glad to help. No need to be sorry.

I hope you get this bank account issue resolved easily so you can relax.

James
    @natdebtline
  • Lori59
    Lloyds didn't see the problem but asked me to check with Barclays so I did and they said if you have a DRO you cannot use the switching service.
    I can just open an account and then close the Barclays one.
    I have a print out of all our direct debits and standing orders so would I have to find all the contact details for them to manually switch?
    Lorraine
  • National_Debtline
    You should just need the sort code, account number and date of payment to set up a direct debit to come from the new bank account. For standing orders you’ll also need the amount of the transaction.

I don’t know for certain but Lloyds might be able to walk you through a few examples if you give them a call.

James
    @natdebtline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure