I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have applied for retail as well but the hours aren’t necessary suitable for my family due to childcare but am happy to give most things ago as long as it fits around the kids.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Fingers crossed you get something suitable soon
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How about working in a school kitchen or lunch time supervisor in a school?

It's not great money but it helps a bit and fits around the kids with the holidays.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    How about working in a school kitchen or lunch time supervisor in a school?

It's not great money but it helps a bit and fits around the kids with the holidays.

That won’t work now as I’ll have to pay childcare and with the travel time I won’t earn any money but is def an option once my youngest is full time at school.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s advice, I think this job business will just be a long process.

On a diff note I closed down a credit card last night that had a zero balance but £9k credit limit. I have also meal planned until next pay day and am hoping the £24.35 gift card I have will be enough on food until then (19th). I will just need milk, bread and fruit but nothing for main meals as I will be eating out of the freezer. From the 19th I will have £70 per week for food.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At least you got an interview which is a start . There will always be pros and cons about taking a job, compromise may be needed in the end , am sure you will find a suitable position eventually .

Food budget going well.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I had a nsd yesterday which is good. I’m very impressed with how little you can spend once you start properly changing ways. As you can probably tell I think I have definitely had my true lightbulb moment. I think I was kidding myself before.

I need to at some point close my very and next account as they are both with a zero balance but I have £5k credit available and I’m trying to reduce all my credit where possible as I don’t need it.

Have a frugal day everyone.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done with all your nsd. I had £5k credit available on my next account but reduced it right down. I like their clothes for the boys so have kept it going, but can't rack up loads of debt on it anymore.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I had another nsd yesterday but I have to own up I was tempted to get a takeaway as I had a headache all day and we were out until gone 7 so it felt like the easy option but dh said no and reminded me we are meant to be frugal so we didn’t.

Today I’m mtg a friend in town as I have some errands to do but am hoping to use up my free coffee and cake voucher rather than cash. I got invited to another meal out and I said no, sorry I can’t afford it.

I was talking to a good friend the other day and she mentioned what her plans were for the week ahead and included two dinners out, I made a comment about I don’t know how she can afford it and she laughed and said I don’t see why I should miss out on a good time just because of money. It really showed me how different I’ve become as I don’t feel I miss out as there are other ways to have fun without spending money, I told my sister about this and she said that it is hard over winter to find free things to do. I gave her some examples but she didn’t seem convinced but she doesn’t know what being frugal is!

Have a nice day.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I’m very pleased with myself as I was out the whole day yesterday and only spent £6 and that was mainly for top up food for the house. I did buy chocolate for my dd but bought the cheapest one costing 50p. I bought a top for my dd as a bday present and it was reduced from £10 to £2. I didn’t eat out but instead used my free coffee and cake voucher which was lovely. I literally don’t want to spend money.

I haven’t got anything planned this weekend ( done deliberately as part of being frugal) other than ds swimming lessons. We do need to pay for the next lot of lessons today and need milk so it won’t be a nsd but will be planned spends.

I feel like I hardly make top up payments on the ccs anymore which is a little frustrating but this is primarily due to lack of sales. Dh gets paid this Friday so I will pay the minimums and then update my signature as it is lower now then what’s showing but not significantly enough to update now.

Have a lovely frugal weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure