Santander 123 rate to be cut to 1.5%

Options
MDMD
MDMD Posts: 1,431 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 15 August 2016 at 7:53PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
According to the Daily Mail the 123 rate to be "slashed"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/currentaccounts/article-3709286/Massive-blow-millions-customers-Santander-plots-slash-rate-Britain-s-favourite-current-account.html

The article says they are planning on moving to a flat 2% across all balances by October.

Wonder if it's the start of similar things....

Edit: title updated in light of recent news

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/08/14/santander-123-slash-interest-1-5-ditch/?_ga=1.47393252.216515695.1467569480

Comments

• Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That'll be a huge rebranding exercise. The Santander 1-2-2 account.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hazzanet wrote: »
    That'll be a huge rebranding exercise. The Santander 1-2-2 account.

They might be able to get away with it if it still pays 1, 2 or 3% cashback.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That might well happen but I shall wait to see the news in an actual newspaper before I get too worried.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really hope they don't, but the writing looks to be on the wall...It's getting harder and harder to make your savings work for you these days, without having to potentially find a home for 3 x 123!! I suppose if 2% is still one of the best rates (after the other higher % accounts are full) then it'll stay with Santander.

Money eh....you're either worrying about not having any....or worrying about what to do with it!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well that would be another inconvenience if true. I've just opened and filled our second 123 after a lot of calls and follow-ups from the local branch. I wondered why they were suddenly being so pushy about signing up new accounts!

On top of that a letter from HSBC yesterday telling me their Advantage ISA (the only ISA I had that was still worth holding ) is to drop again from 1.2% to 0.8% at the end of September.

I guess that will have to go somewhere too, though I'll leave £1 in there to still get the £10 per month bonus.

The way things are going I'm half inclined to spend the ISA on general living costs over the next year or two and sacrifice all my taxable salary into my pension instead!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Well that would be another inconvenience if true. I've just opened and filled our second 123 after a lot of calls and follow-ups from the local branch. I wondered why they were suddenly being so pushy about signing up new accounts!

On top of that a letter from HSBC yesterday telling me their Advantage ISA (the only ISA I had that was still worth holding ) is to drop again from 1.2% to 0.8% at the end of September.

I guess that will have to go somewhere too, though I'll leave £1 in there to still get the £10 per month bonus.

The way things are going I'm half inclined to spend the ISA on general living costs over the next year or two and sacrifice all my taxable salary into my pension instead!
    It was only a matter of time, others will follow suit.
    They were loss leaders.
    Good while it lasted.:(
    I have not received any Hsbc letter about my Isa, but, am in the middle of transferring it to Leeds 2 yr fixed, assumed it would drop. Had all my £10's.:)
    Shawbrook are doing 1 yr @ 1.3% Isa.new.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    That might well happen but I shall wait to see the news in an actual newspaper before I get too worried.
    Doubt it will be in the Guardian.:rotfl:
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking of opening a 123 account next month but now I will just stick to the ones I have.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just sent them an instant message for confirmation. They probably wont tell me anything but its worth a shot. Time to start calculating if 2% is worth it over their £5 fee.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »

Agreed

But, despite the source, it sounds very credible:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family