We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Reccomendation of a good gardening book

Hi
Me and hubby are looking to start growing veg next year and I am looking to purchase a gardening book for hubby's birthday and wondered if anyone could recommend one.

Many thanks

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The Gardening Book for dummies or something similar are just brilliant, they cover everything in simple terms.

We got an allotment a couple of years ago with no experience and the stuff we are producing is mostly given away to family and friends, Good luck with it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Me and hubby are looking to start growing veg next year and I am looking to purchase a gardening book for hubby's birthday and wondered if anyone could recommend one.

Many thanks

I can thoroughly recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Gardener-Grow-Your-Fruit/dp/1846072018
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Start stocking up on recycled jam and pickle jars!

Very best of luck with your growing plans.
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I like these River Cottage books - the veg is best, I think, but enjoyed the fruit and herb ones too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veg-Patch-River-Cottage-Handbook/dp/0747595348?ie=UTF8&qid=1469631852&ref_=la_B0036E10FG_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1 Would never have paid £14 for them though. Picked them up cheap somewhere. Can't for the life of me remember where it was, though, sorry.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I won't directly recommend a book, but I would suggest getting secondhand copies of whatever you do choose, from Amazon or Ebay, and saving pounds. It's not so much moneysaving as sensible practice, as every third time I look at my practical gardening books I'm either covered in mud, or wet. Or both. They get grubby from the plant labels being used as bookmarks, or the leaf I've pulled off some plant for the same purpose has rotted. Then I leave it in the greenhouse, or propped on a windowsill.

Mind you, buying cheap does have some (dis)advantages. I now need a second (fairly large) bookcase to hold the gardening books. {Can anyone recommend a supplier of bookcases.... :o }
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You might want a fancier book for his birthday but one he will go back to again and again for straightforward information is The Vegetable & Herb Expert by Dr Hessayon.
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 July 2016 at 12:29AM
    Slightly off track but if you have a Tesco's clubcard they do an annual subscription for 'Kitchen Garden' magazine for £13 of clubcard vouchers and they include freebie seeds with every issue, usually veg but the August edition that arrived today included nigella and larkspur flower seeds as well as lettuce. I'm on my second year of getting this mag and I think it's really good value. I know the basics of growing the veg we like to eat but this adds to my knowledge.

Oh, and before you buy a book, check out The Book People website to make sure they don't have it on offer. There seem to be quite a lot of veg growing books on their site at the moment.

B x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport