We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

quick q - does woodwork need fully cleaning before every coat?

Painting woodwork in house at moment.
Steps I have followed:

1. sand then thoroughly vacuum and wipe down
2. undercoat & primer
3. light sand quick wipe down
4. satinwood coat 1

Thats were im at. Next I will be giving the first satinwood coat a light sand to de nib it.

How far do you have to go in regards to cleaning, I dont fancy puling the vacuum out and hoovering thoroughly again, would a quick wipe of the woodwork be ok between coat?

Or is it recommended to go all out and properly vacuum and wipe down between every coat as that will take around an hour each time its had a light sand between coats

Im using this Dulux trade satinwood looks like it will need 3 coats, very watery stuff!

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Comments

  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi There,

    The steps you have taken are absolutely fine. Just one question were there any knots in the wood and if so did you apply knotting treatment to these?

    A quick wipe down after sanding is also perfectly fine as well.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    usman330 wrote: »
    Painting woodwork in house at moment.
    Steps I have followed:

    1. sand then thoroughly vacuum and wipe down
    2. undercoat & primer
    3. light sand quick wipe down
    4. satinwood coat 1

    Thats were im at. Next I will be giving the first satinwood coat a light sand to de nib it.

    How far do you have to go in regards to cleaning, I dont fancy puling the vacuum out and hoovering thoroughly again, would a quick wipe of the woodwork be ok between coat?

    Or is it recommended to go all out and properly vacuum and wipe down between every coat as that will take around an hour each time its had a light sand between coats

    Im using this Dulux trade satinwood looks like it will need 3 coats, very watery stuff!

    $_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

    I would not bother vacuming between any extra coats, once the paint is dry and sanded just wipe off any dust with a damp cloth then apply next coat.
    Most vacuum cleaners will end up {unless with a good HEPA filter} putting as much dust back as it removes.:)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    You don't absolutely have to sand between coats, but if you do it'll be a bit smoother. I don't usually bother, esp with satin rather than gloss these days. Just put the second coat straight over the first once it's gone off. Have not had any problems doing this
  • usman330
    usman330 Posts: 131 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Thanks all.
    Its been a couple of days since the 1st coat so I think I will just give it all a very light going over with fine sandpaper and them run a damp cloth over it to clean then put the next coat on.

    In regards to knots, its old skirting etc that has been sanded back but still had paint on so I didnt use any knotting solution as I think it any knots were to show they would have done by now.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.