edited 26 July 2016 at 3:19PM in Savings & Investments
11 replies 2.2K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 26 July 2016 at 3:19PM in Savings & Investments
"Earn 2.5% on a one-year savings fix... if Man Utd win the league"

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• edited 26 July 2016 at 12:40PM
    bristolleedsfanbristolleedsfan Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2016 at 12:40PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5497881

"Last week an email popped up in my Inbox" as well - From " Savers Friend" ;)

"So I immediately" posted about it on MSE :whistle:
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It gets tedious but yet again the article doesn't mention far better rates. The example given is for £10k. Why would you settle for 1.25% or even 2.5% when you can get 4% & 5% on that same money.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jimjames wrote: »
    It gets tedious but yet again the article doesn't mention far better rates. The example given is for £10k. Why would you settle for 1.25% or even 2.5% when you can get 4% & 5% on that same money.

It's ok - the more people put their money into low interest savings accounts, the higher the likelihood that the really good rates will remain available to the rest of us for much longer.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Ambassador
    43.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To cover all angles, put money in the bond and bet against Man Utd winning the league. Include the cost of placing the bet in your calculation and then work out the odds with & without Man Utd winning.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, in my home and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QUOTE: Maybe it’s because they think their team (Manchester City, ugh) has a chance of winning the league this year? Maybe it’s envy because their small team doesn’t have the large fan base across the UK that makes offering such an account worthwhile?

So having a large fan base across the UK means the automatic title, does it?

More people to be disappointed probably. For the second successive year.

We'll see.
  • Not sure about United winning the title although I see odds of 1/3 for United to finish in the top 4 for those of you who likes a flutter.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jimjames wrote: »

With the uncertainty in the market then it's possible to do even better if you have a higher risk profile and a decent IFA. Obviously this isn't guaranteed and it requires you to do more than just hide the money away and forget about it.
  • bigadajbigadaj Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phillw wrote: »
    With the uncertainty in the market then it's possible to do even better if you have a higher risk profile and a decent IFA. Obviously this isn't guaranteed and it requires you to do more than just hide the money away and forget about it.

Let's not start conflating saving and investing again, it's going to confuse newbies and promotes things like corporate bonds being sold as savings products, or at least giving that impression.
  • kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half the interest if ManU don't win the title.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Quick calcs

2.23% return with both eventualities covered
    Bet against them not to win

rj9nHxDCCGEGNAxEkIIIQZ0jIQQQkgE8P9SDa7oy4zJmwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here