Starting over double the mountain to climb!

Replies

• Thank you so much for warm welcome it keeps me motivated...

So I went to the local carpet place £1200 for all 3 bedrooms inc fitting I also have mobile carpet guy coming to quote to compare then I will try carpet right so I can decide.
    My boys went to stay with their grandparent this weekend and I should have been doing more house stuff and my coursework but my Dh and I decided on date night instead so dinner a lie in (first time I slept past 9 am in 7 years) followed by a little gym visit and long walk and now going to get washing and shopping sorted.
    I am aiming for 5 nsd next week and no big shop this week instead a small fresh shop!
  • zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Another one here replacing carpet with a wooden or vinyl floor due to kids!

Good luck on your journey
  • jodles16jodles16 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome! You will soon see that mortgage decreasing and what a fab LTV you have! Best of luck!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • chelseabluechelseablue Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    Another one here replacing carpet with a wooden or vinyl floor due to kids!

Good luck on your journey

I want to replace the carpet in the bedrooms upstairs with wood/laminate.
    My last property had cream carpet and my son was sick on it, had to get professional carpet cleaners round in the end to try and get the stain out.... nightmare!

A couple of people have said keep to carpet upstairs as anything else will be noisy, but I can never seem to keep carpets clean :o
  • I would say I really want carpet in the bedrooms for noise reduction and comfort. In my last house we had a amazing aqua repellent stain resistant carpet which to keep clean was a dream but we got it in the sales and I think it may be out of reach along with MFW dreams.

Off to @ldi to get a few buts for the week I MUST write a list mainly because I don't want to forgot anything and spend again this week!
    NSD aim is 5 I have 1 so far (yesterday)
  • I have been lucky enough to have the house to myself today a few MFW things done:

Energy Supplier - we have moved onto a much better tariff fixed until October next year
    Sorted out the RUBBISH internet connection and negotiated due to terrible customer services from sky for a really good deal on fibre so I can work at home more often
    Made overpayment on the mortgage this came from checking quidco and realising I had a payment waiting of £21
    Found some curtains from our last house which fit one of the bedrooms saving £55 on a new set that I wanted - added to virtual mortgage overpayment pot (not overpaying this until the other curtains are brought and paid for incase they are over my budget)
    NSD
    Called and requested that the overpayment we had from our last property on our water metre is transferred to our new account and set up direct debit
    Called the request £400 overpayment from our legal fees for when we moved is refunded as it has been a month now
    Updated our Christmas fund and checked we are on track for the amount we need for presents

Total overpayments for month one is £125/ £400 on mortgage 1, once the £400 comes back from the solicitors I will make that up to £525 which means I have made my target.

I have been thinking a lot about MFW dreams, I think I want to have a balance approach to it still live my life but still make overpayments. Keeping this diary is keeping me on track to making those small overpayments and keeping me organised with my 'home' admin.

Tomorrow our second run around is in for MOT, always a worry as I am not sure how long the car is going to survive, I am hoping for a pass or at least only small work. We have the car saving separate from our renovation fund and emergency fund but I don't really want to touch it if I don't have to for some time, with that said we do need 2 cars and if we have to buy a new one (not brand new just new to us) then I need to be prepared for that savings account to be drained!

Target 5 NSD 2/5 so far!
  • chelseabluechelseablue Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How old is the car? Mine is 10 years old now, but its only done 42,000 miles so going to keep it as long as possible
    If I could get another 5 years out of it that would be great!
  • It is 11 years old but its done 100,000 miles...!!! it is only a little hatchback which my husband drives to and from work in. He is happy to keep it but I have said any work over £500 we probably should cut our loses but my husband thinks we should keep it going.
    Ideally it will just pass and there wont be any debates! :-)
  • TimmySaverTimmySaver Forumite
    225 Posts
    ljaneyr wrote: »

I really liked that company. The job they did at our house was very poor and we ended up getting it for free. This was great because it looked good - and I'm sure helped sell the house - but gave us over £1000 in our pocket for eventual moving costs. We hadn't planned to move at the time, but it turned out good in the end.

I'm sure that you're experience will be much better with them and I hope it goes really well.
    Old Mortgage: [STRIKE]2009:£78500 2010:£76951.71 2011:£74414.49 2012:£71961.35 2013:£67813.54 2014:£64375.16 Current: £55,480.27[/STRIKE]

New Mortgage: 2016: £92795 Current: £87999.99
  • TimmySaverTimmySaver Forumite
    225 Posts
    vicsmiles wrote: »
    It is 11 years old but its done 100,000 miles...!!! it is only a little hatchback which my husband drives to and from work in. He is happy to keep it but I have said any work over £500 we probably should cut our loses but my husband thinks we should keep it going.
    Ideally it will just pass and there wont be any debates! :-)

Hi Vicsmiles,

Nice to see another MFW diary. I've just resurrected mine after a long absence.

It's always so hard to get past the sunk costs and any emotional feelings about stuff. Fingers crossed that it passes and money doesn't need to be spent on repairs or a new car.
    Old Mortgage: [STRIKE]2009:£78500 2010:£76951.71 2011:£74414.49 2012:£71961.35 2013:£67813.54 2014:£64375.16 Current: £55,480.27[/STRIKE]

New Mortgage: 2016: £92795 Current: £87999.99
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides