Clutch replaced in December has gone

Options
13»

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    That post was in direct reply to the previous post that simply compared a 407 and Accord. My point being his assumption is that the Accord is more reliable because it's a Honda.

Whereas the previous Accord was also a Honda (based on a Rover) and was also considered very reliable.

If that make sense.

Let's be completely clear though; the Honda/Rover collaboration which resulted in the Accord/600 was based on HONDA developing the platforms. Not Rover.

So even if you interpret the argument as 'reliable just because it's a Honda', the fact is that the Accord/600 WAS extremely reliable in both its forms, and as a comparator is a valid one against other vehicles available at the time, as it was considered to be significantly more reliable than other manufacturer's offerings.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2016 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Let's be completely clear though; the Honda/Rover collaboration which resulted in the Accord/600 was based on HONDA developing the platforms. Not Rover.

So even if you interpret the argument as 'reliable just because it's a Honda', the fact is that the Accord/600 WAS extremely reliable in both its forms, and as a comparator is a valid one against other vehicles available at the time, as it was considered to be significantly more reliable than other manufacturer's offerings.

The K series engine aside the Rover 75 was also very reliable and well built, they were hugely popular in the Exec/Account based Private Hire industry back in 03/04 partly due to an excellent short term lease deal from Rover for fleets, the LWB version was about to hit the streets when Rover went bent.

Rovers were all built in the UK and I think the Accords were aswell. Maybe not the Innova version.

The actual design and engineering is one thing but people make the assumption that only Japanese built cars are reliable that was my point, there were also Rover engineers in Japan so it wasn't just Honda engineers.

The Diesel engine was a development of the old Perkins from the Montego/Maestro.

The only common issue i heard of was gear selectors wearing out resulting in a sloppy gear change, my mate changed his outside the Cafe at 2 in the morning so not a difficult job.

I nearly bought an Accord at the time but the only one in my price range had faulty interior fan that only worked on the high speed (3 yrs old, high miles ex fleet at Great Trade Centre, now CarGiant) so I bought a Pug 405 instead.

I may be biased a bit when it comes to French cars as I have driven them most of my driving life.

Learned in a Renault 14 and Pug 305. Then a 340DL (with 1397cc Renault engine!) then multiple Renault 5's and some Renault 19's (a phase 1 GTS and TSE and a phase 2 Turbo diesel Chamade) Renault 25 and a couple of 21's. A couple of Clios, Berlingo and even a Safrane.

There was also a 405, 309, Xantia, phase 1 Megane and for a few weeks a Laguna.

In my experience they are no worse than anything else, they are reasonably priced to buy used and are comfortable, quiet and in recent years excel as far as safety goes (Renaults specifically)
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This thread has gone so far off topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the op never came back to update it.

My work colleage had a 2012 Mini Cooper which started to develope a rattle in the engine. Another more experienced colleage informed her that it was a common and very expensive to fix fault, so the best option was to get shot of it pronto.

Anyway, back to the op's problem.

If s/he is still reading the thread, they need to find out if the garage replaced the slave cylinder and the DMF at the same time as the clutch.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure