We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
New Build, Square garden - Patio Advice required
WCN87
Posts: 144 Forumite
Hi All,
I'm looking for an opinion and a bit of advice here if possible, as you can see i have small square garden and I'm looking at DIY paving/patio area to put a family rattan table and chair set.
The garden is level until about the middle where it starts to slope slightly. So we were looking at doing the paving slab bang in the middle, but in a way it covers where we've put the shed.
To the right of the shed we're looking at having a BBQ area.
Want to know if anyone can suggest what they would do? or where they would start? I work for a construction company and can get slabs at a reduced rate, is it worthwhile getting someone in on a daily rate to do it?
Sorry I am an absolute newbie to this. so feel free to ask away and I'll answer questions.

I'm looking for an opinion and a bit of advice here if possible, as you can see i have small square garden and I'm looking at DIY paving/patio area to put a family rattan table and chair set.
The garden is level until about the middle where it starts to slope slightly. So we were looking at doing the paving slab bang in the middle, but in a way it covers where we've put the shed.
To the right of the shed we're looking at having a BBQ area.
Want to know if anyone can suggest what they would do? or where they would start? I work for a construction company and can get slabs at a reduced rate, is it worthwhile getting someone in on a daily rate to do it?
Sorry I am an absolute newbie to this. so feel free to ask away and I'll answer questions.

0
Comments
-
I can't see your images. Probably just my work firewall.
Do some googling for Garden Design. Square garden lawn design etc...
And if you're prepared to splash some dosh Rachel Mathews does a fantastic small garden design course that you can do in a day or two.
There are plenty of tricks to make a square garden look much bigger and more interesting. Think curves, not straight lines. And use the vertical space as much as the horizontal0 -
If you can watch Garden Rescue they did a back garden similar in shape to yours. Charlie did it with a raised deck, curves in patio/bedding borders and 2 or 3 focal points.
Decide what you want in the garden - is it to entertain, have a peaceful relaxing area, for pets/kids etc.
Are there any plants/trees you like, Any materials you like - wood/metal etc same with colour and texture.
What is your budget? What is the size of garden? Might give people better suggestions.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards