PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How much cheaper is it to bake your own bread??

Options
I normally buy a loaf of bread from Adli for 49p. Its a thick, white, toast bread. Its very nice however, sometimes it a bit hard and for this reason I sometime find myself buy a loaf for 75p.

I am thinking about baking my own, I have no bread baking experiance so will be looking to buy a bread maker (and an electric knife to cut the loaf nicely).

Can someone recomend a bread maker, the loaf need to be long as I need to make at least 5 thick sandwiches from each loaf (for school lunches the next day). If I could use it to make small buns too - it will be a bouns.

How much cheaper is it to make your own?
How long does it take?
If I will mostly buy a bag bread mix to use with the bread maker will it be more expensive or the same as a shop brought loaf?.
The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer - I was in my late 20s when I figured out what this meant.

I neither take or enter agreements which deal with interest. I dont want to profit from someone's misery.

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I don't think making your own bread will be cheaper.

You have the initial outlay for the bread maker which will be at least £30 plus flour, yeast, salt, sugar, oil, electricity. Add to that the electric knife you say you need, although in my opinion it won't cut you bread that nicely, and with a regular bread knife it's just down to practice.

Most bread makers make a square loaf, not a long one, but your requirements for number of slices might change, as homemade bread is denser than sliced white so more filling.

Bread makers can be used for just the kneading and first proving stage if you want, allowing you to shape it and bake it traditionally in the oven if you want, but obviously that add to the time it takes.

My bread maker takes between 3 and 4 hours depending on the type and size of loaf.

The bread mixes I don't find are worth it, as it is so easy to do it yourself. Some of my recipes require weighing, but most work on cup and spoon measurements.
    Zebras rock
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reckon i can go and buy a loaf much cheaper than when i make one. But if you want your bread to taste like bread, you're going to pay a lot more in the shops than it costs to make your own.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    All the above, plus bread mixes would not be cheaper for bog standard but do make a nice change for something more exotic, such as tomato & chilli, onion, seeded / malted types

On offer in Waitrose at present BTW, 66 or 74p depending on type
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Home made bread is delicious once you get the hang of it

Many moons ago I bought a bread maker and tbh is was carp. Make good tea loaves etc but bread- yuck

The cheapest bread recipe is strong flour, yeast, a tsp of salt and sugar and a bit of olive oil

I buy the cheapest strong flour from tesco 95p and it makes perhaps 3 smallish loaves or 18 rolls. I prefer to make rolls

You have to factor in time and oven energy.

Time is about 20 mins, oven energy depends on what else you are using the oven for

Rolls take around 10 mins to cook. However because there are no preservatives in them they can be chewy within 24 hrs

I make mine the night before, prove over night in the fridge , shape and bake them just before eating them and believe me, the bread is delish

Bread making by hand isn't hard or time consuming. If like me you have no power in your arms to knead, pulling and stretching the dough works. I do use my kenwood to get everything going but always finish by hand as I think you get a better finished product

The most important part is knocking the dough back after the first rise so you don't get huge air bubbles
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thread here you might want to read:
    Breadmakers - are they worth it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income