We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Home Security

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position - We bought our first home in March - New Build Semi detached over 3 floors. Now the master bedroom is on the top floor and our 10 month old daughters room, so being cautious and for peace of mind we want to get home security installed. We had ADT out on Saturday to give us a quote which is 3 sensors on the bottom floor and 2 outdoor alarm boxes one on either side of the property.

The one sensor in the hallway on the middlefloor.

- Wireless Package
-Keyholder Response Package via mobile network

Contract Term: 36Months


The installation and equipment price quotes is £373 and a monthly maintenance cost of £33.

Does this look like a good price? Can you negotiate pricing?

Worth getting other quotes?

Many Thanks

Comments

  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Just buy a pickaxe handle.

    Get other quotes to see how they match up. £33 a month seems a little steep to me, but I'm tight. £400 a year!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 3,222 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You can always try and negotiate pricing.

    There are DIY wireless systems out there - and I'm guessing this is a wireless system due to the price. I assume this doesn't have police response, and I've never really seen much value in keyholder response (you turn up and it's a false alarm, or you turn up and you've been robbed or get lumped).

    How do you feel about dogs?
  • WCN87
    WCN87 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Yeah this is a wireless system and not police response either.

    No dogs I'm afraid, already have a cat :j
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 3,222 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-premium-wireless-alarm-kit/54473?

    Save yourself some money! I've not used that product, but I did have a DIY wireless alarm system in a previous house, and it was just fine.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've fitted a couple of solar powered alarms from these people.
    Easy peazy.


    http://www.responseelectronics.com/burglar-alarms-c8/wireless-alarms-c23?gclid=CI329rjJjs4CFYoW0wodc28Maw
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

    Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A relative fitted one of the Yale wireless systems and it's worked well, the telephone dialing is a nice feature and there's no on-going service charge.

    Personally if I was paying someone to fit an alarm I'd get a wired one fitted - more disruption to fit it but you don't have to worry about changing batteries in the PIRs and door sensors. Plus once the wiring is in place, in 10-15 years when the system needs replacing you can keep the wires and just replace the parts.

    I'd pay £400+ to get a decent wired system fitted but it sounds expensive for a small wireless system, you may as well fit it yourself.

    As for £33 a month service charge, sounds very expensive. You can get alarms with autodialers with no monthly charges. For example, on a wired system it needs two batteries changing every 4-5years and they cost less than £20 in total for the parts.

    If you're reasonable at DIY you could fit either a wired or wireless system for a fraction of the price, it's not that difficult.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,633 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    We had out old wired system replaced with a wireless one some years back. No monitoring, so no monthly cost. It does have the capability to phone a number if the alarm goes off and also has two "remote" keyfob type units to set/disarm it without entering the security code. That was too easy and I never had them enabled. We now have 4 PIRs and 2 door switches, all with their own batteries, plus the bell box has a battery in it. It is recommended that the sensor batteries are changed annually and the bell box battery every two years. It's two years since any batteries were changed and I've figured I'll wait until the panel tells me one of the batteries needs replacing, which it hasn't done yet. I can replace all except the bellbox battery myself. Don't have a long enough ladder or a head for heights to do that. It'll be a £65 call out fee plus the battery cost for that, so I should have a bit of change from £100.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 27,188 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    What do you get for the £33 per month maintenance? Does someone come round your house each month and do anything?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.