We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Need a few bookcases. Suggestions?
amatos
Posts: 13 Forumite
Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a few bookcases for my living room - 6 or 7 units at around 80cm or 90cm each. I'm trying to avoid IKEA Billy or Hemnes and get good quality, solid wood bookcases.
Sometimes I see amazing vintage victorian and regency bookcases at auctions and at very good prices. The problem is that are always sold as single units and I don't think I can find 6 or 7 identical bookcases (or at least that would match closely).
Suggestions anyone? Short of raiding a library?
I'm open to have them built by someone, but that seems fairly expensive.
Thanks.
I would like to buy a few bookcases for my living room - 6 or 7 units at around 80cm or 90cm each. I'm trying to avoid IKEA Billy or Hemnes and get good quality, solid wood bookcases.
Sometimes I see amazing vintage victorian and regency bookcases at auctions and at very good prices. The problem is that are always sold as single units and I don't think I can find 6 or 7 identical bookcases (or at least that would match closely).
Suggestions anyone? Short of raiding a library?
Thanks.
0
Comments
-
How about Argos, Habitat or John Lewis? They have lots of bookshelves on offer.0
-
Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a few bookcases for my living room - 6 or 7 units at around 80cm or 90cm each. I'm trying to avoid IKEA Billy or Hemnes and get good quality, solid wood bookcases.
Sometimes I see amazing vintage victorian and regency bookcases at auctions and at very good prices. The problem is that are always sold as single units and I don't think I can find 6 or 7 identical bookcases (or at least that would match closely).
Suggestions anyone? Short of raiding a library?
I'm open to have them built by someone, but that seems fairly expensive.
Thanks.
getting bespoke is (relatively) expensive.
there are lots of Billy hacks on the internet - have a google around. Even for the technicaly-challenged, sticking on some attractive moulding, plus painting and caulk, can make cheap flatpack shelves look really good.
:money::money::money:0 -
If you know your way around tools, then going DIY would be exciting. If not, try John Lewis for pre-built cases or go bespoke if you have the cash0
-
Shelfstore.co.uk do solid wood bookcases which you can buy in various heights and widths. They need minimal assembly and have coped well with all of our books!0
-
Why not put long shelves across the room. Use nice brackets and quality timber and it should look very good.“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires0 -
Shelfstore.co.uk do solid wood bookcases which you can buy in various heights and widths. They need minimal assembly and have coped well with all of our books!
Thank you. They look good and I need something like that now.:beer:You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.0 -
RussellMPowell wrote: »How about Argos, Habitat or John Lewis? They have lots of bookshelves on offer.
Argos bookshelves don't seem particularly good quality, John Lewis look nice but expensive. Is there anything else out there that people can recommend?0 -
davemorton wrote: »Why not put long shelves across the room. Use nice brackets and quality timber and it should look very good.
Didn't really thought about that, that's a good idea too. I'll check.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards