Options
2»

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but I dont have a disk.

You can make one yourself. You need to download an ISO file from Microsoft. There's a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. (If you're not sure, you should probably go for the 64-bit one.)

To get the ISO file you need, click the big blue button labelled "Download tool now" on the page below. This downloads the media creation tool that you can run to download the latest ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

An ISO file is basically a representation of a DVD. You can't use it directly. You have to use a burning program that recognises an ISO file and converts it into the files that need to be burned on a DVD.

There's lots of programs that can do this, but I like the free version of DeepBurner because it's very simple to use. It should be self-explanatory. You can download it here:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download
    Sorry for my ignorance I am not very tech savvy.

Oh, don't worry about that. I'm sure you've found more interesting ways to spend your time than fiddling about with computers! :)
    Do you mean if I make a recovery disc myself, that will be what I restore from?

Yes. Although, it would be best to download the ISO image and create a new disc when you need it, as it will have been updated by then.
    Will that restore everything from scratch? I thought they just stored records of my pictures/files etc.

A clean installation will wipe your hard drive of everything, and then install Windows 10. It would be like a "new computer"; all your files and installed programs would be gone.

Recovery discs don't recover any of YOUR files. You need to back them up yourself to an external hard drive.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    An ISO file is basically a representation of a DVD. You can't use it directly. You have to use a burning program that recognises an ISO file and converts it into the files that need to be burned on a DVD.
    If they need to be burned on a DVD eventually, why not do this directly, saving time and a CD?
  • esuhl
    Options
    If they need to be burned on a DVD eventually, why not do this directly, saving time and a CD?

Do what directly? I don't understand what you're asking. :-/
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Do what directly? I don't understand what you're asking. :-/
    You said "and converts it into the files that need to be burned on a DVD." Can't you just download then burn those files onto the DVD?
  • esuhl
    Options
    You said "and converts it into the files that need to be burned on a DVD." Can't you just download then burn those files onto the DVD?

Well, you could, but it's easier to click on, and download, one single file, rather than having to click thousands of links and manually put the files in a complex folder hierarchy yourself. That could take hours!

Also, as the ISO file is a full representation of the sectors on a physical disc, it can include things like an El Torito Boot Record, which allows PCs to boot from the CD/DVD. You can't make a CD/DVD bootable just by copying files to it.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/specscdrom.pdf

In summary, ISO files are useful because they encapsulate both a file/folder hierarchy (much like a zip file) and (optionally) a Boot Record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure