Time to sort my finances out

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2016 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Flowers123, there is no point feeling guilty for buying things you need. It makes more sense to save the guilt for right before you buy things you want but don't need, no? If it stops you from buying them, the guilt is working for you.

It is as misstara has said, you need to retrain your brain to stick to a budget, to what is on your carefully meal-planned shopping list; it will become second nature after a while.

Perhaps you could ask yourself which you need more: A takeaway or the £10 back from ex-bf. If this sounds harsh, it is only a suggestion; only you can decide.

I will g00gle gr00pon, thank you for the tip however, if you have to spend money to save it, I may not pursue it. One day you, too, could become tighter than a camel's posterior in a sand storm! :D
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Hi Flowers how are you today?

I can relate to the feeling a bit down. I'm struggling with keeping my spending diary as I often forget to write odd bits down straight away. I find myself questioning every purchase even if it's something I need (hair conditioner - the one toiletry I didn't have a spare of!). Also my energy levels are low and I get a bit frustrated at myself for getting confused with trying to financial plan. I just did a new S.O.A bit realised my maths is wrong! Also keep getting a bit lost deciding how to go about my budget and where different things should fall into. I find my sttessig out a lot atm but I'm hoping it settles down as becomes more of a routine x
  • ash302
    ash302 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Flowers,

Just had a quick read of your diary on my lunch break. Your doing really well!!
    An idea for BBQ's, my partner has a huge family and when we host a bbq we buy the food and the spilt the bill between the adults. Usually around £5 each. Saves people bringing the same item. And then bring whatever you want to drink.

I've subscribed, speak to you soon :)
  • ash302
    Options
    For some reason I can't subscribe at work :( I'll log on tonight and do it
  • Flowers123
    Flowers123 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all.

Smodlet, I have the gr*upon app on my phone but if it's easier then you can google it and you will be able to choose all the deals in your area and set up email notifications so you can keep an eye out for deals that you may need. Yes I think I will be asking for the £10 back when he's feeling better. Hahaha I love that saying. I hope I learn to handle my finances better and become more like a camel. My grandparents are very well off but they are extremely careful with every penny and will only buy something if they really need it.

Hi Houseplant. Hope you're feeling a bit better despite your energy levels. I'm struggling with budgeting to and not sure how to break it all down. Are you going to have a separate budget for groceries and household items and toiletries or are you combining it? It's only the beginning for us both so hopefully in a few years I will nearly be out of debt and you'll be on your way to purchasing a lovely new abode :)

Hi Ash. Thanks for posting. That's a really good idea. I need to start doing that as I have a lovely little garden but it's hardly ever used. I normally end up in a restaurant and even a drink can cost nearly £5 these days. I remember the days of £10 all you can drink which is slightly cringe worthy.

Came home from work early today as I have worked so many extra hours recently. It's been horrible at work for the past few months. Everyone is stressed as we are so short staffed and have so much work. A lot of people are looking for new jobs which is only going to make things worse before they get better. We have new people starting but they need to be trained and it's going to take them a while before they can be left to their own devices. On a positive note I have not spent any money today. I do have food for this evening and evening meals for tomorrow and Thursday but nothing for work lunches. I have some pasta so I'm going to use the idea Smodlet gave me and get some salad bits to add to it, I have a pasta sauce that I can use so that's means I should be able to get work lunches for the next 3 days. May need to pop to A*di later and get some fresh salad bits. I have seen people putting nectarines in salads which looks rather yummy. I am going back to my parents straight after work on Friday and then out for the day on Saturday. I don't usually pay for food when I go back home so the money I save on this will be spent on fuel. I have a full tank of fuel still and this will last me until next payday.

Onward and upwards. Flowersx
    :beer:
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much, Flowers123. I love the idea of this forum, that people can help each other; I am utterly clueless about so many things internetty. I did have a quick look but was not enamoured (I guess the wikipedia article was probably not the best place to start, huh?) I will try again.

Best of luck and please, keep us posted.
  • Flowers123
    Options
    I managed to restrain myself and not go to the shops yesterday to get salad. I found enough bits in my fridge to use up for lunch today. I will definitely have to go tonight but I will only need a few things and I will be taking a list and only getting things that are on my list. I have dinner for tonight and tomorrow night in the freezer at home so I won't need to spend much. Going home Friday night so will have dinner at my parents. Going home means a cheap Friday night for me as I won't be tempted into going out with work colleagues as I need to drive. I've just realised I haven't included my gym membership or Netflix membership on my SOA. Netflix is going to have to go. I may cancel my gym membership and go for runs near home or do exercise dvd's. I will have a think! Flowersx
  • Flowers123
    Options
    Forgot to mention. I have just been notified of a new role that has come up at a company I used to work for. It's near where all my family and friends are from and the money is the same but there are bonuses which I don't get in my current role and also the benefits package is better. I've applied and I'm really hoping they invite me for an interview. I would love to work for the company again but it would mean selling up my house in the city and moving to a more rural location. I could always stay with friends or with my parents until I found a new place to buy but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. I've lived in the city for nearly 7 years and I have enjoyed my time here but I can't see myself staying here other than for work. Fingers, toes and everything crossed!
  • ash302
    Options
    That's brilliant news about the jobs at your old firm! fingers crossed for you.

If you would need to move do you have the option to move home for a few months to zap the debt quickly. Would your living costs reduce living more rural?
    :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just read through this thread and you are in a very fortunate position to be virtually mortgage free and owning your own house in your mid 20s. Did the loan and credit card debt arise from purchasing something (ie car or jewellery which I see you have) or is it simply accumulated overspending?

When money was very tight for us when we were younger (hurtling towards retirement now) I would do a budget and if overspent on one area then I would claw it back from another budget -ie if I spent too much on a night out then it would be no clothes for that month or reductions in groceries or sell something. Even now as soon as we get paid I put a proportion in savings (for emergencies, car bills, Christmas etc) and take a weekly amount out in cash to pay for petrol, food and entertainment. Once the cash is gone that is it. It might be worth doing that rather than using cards, particularly contact less which are very easy to spend on because it is so quick.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure