We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
What due diligence is required by the homeowner re building work?
Detroit
Posts: 790 Forumite
Hi,
I was reading responses to a recent question about a loft conversion, and saw that at least one poster mentioned the responsibility of the home owner to carry out due diligence in respect of these works, inspecting the work the builders have completed and so on.
I'm about to have a loft conversion, and assumed that providing I took steps to ensure I employed reputable traders, getting references, checking credentials etc, I would be able to leave it to them, and could reasonably expect the work to be of an appropriate standard and compliant with regulations and laws.
I have researched and have some overview of the job and requirements, but obviously, as a lay person this is limited.
It would never have occurred to me that I should check up on the works, as for one thing, I'd have no idea what I was looking for!
The company I am engaging are saying that they will arrange everything, plans, inspections, permissions and so on, and I was thinking I could leave them to get on with it. The other post made me wonder if this is the case.
So, could anyone please advise me on what a person with no knowledge of building should do to ensure work on their property is done to a high standard and complies with the law?
I was reading responses to a recent question about a loft conversion, and saw that at least one poster mentioned the responsibility of the home owner to carry out due diligence in respect of these works, inspecting the work the builders have completed and so on.
I'm about to have a loft conversion, and assumed that providing I took steps to ensure I employed reputable traders, getting references, checking credentials etc, I would be able to leave it to them, and could reasonably expect the work to be of an appropriate standard and compliant with regulations and laws.
I have researched and have some overview of the job and requirements, but obviously, as a lay person this is limited.
It would never have occurred to me that I should check up on the works, as for one thing, I'd have no idea what I was looking for!
The company I am engaging are saying that they will arrange everything, plans, inspections, permissions and so on, and I was thinking I could leave them to get on with it. The other post made me wonder if this is the case.
So, could anyone please advise me on what a person with no knowledge of building should do to ensure work on their property is done to a high standard and complies with the law?
Put your hands up.
0
Comments
-
Your responsibility is to ensure you are in touch with the council building inspector. He knows what he's doing and is there to protect your interests. The point of building regs is to make sure buildings are safe and sound, literally. He will advise you and the builder at particular stage, and if you notice anything you have concerns about he will be able to say whether it's right or wrong.0
-
You will need to make sue that Building Control have been informed and an planning permissions (if required) have been obtained.
You appear to have undertaken due diligence in terms of referencing the company etc.Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.0 -
Thank you for your replies. I will contact the building inspector prior to the work commencing, and then presumably they'll tell me when and what they need to inspect.
I've been advised by the building company that planning permission isn't needed, as it's within permitted development.
Put your hands up.0 -
You might find it useful to have a read through the following links, so you know the building firm are doing things correctly.
This link shows info about Planning and Permitted Development
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission
This links to building regulations, also info about different types of application.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control0 -
Thanks Hoploz, that's really helpful.
Put your hands up.0 -
Be aware that building control inspections only confirm that the work being carried out satisfies building control requirements - they don't have any comment on workmanship etc.
You need to establish the companies snagging procedure and whether there is a retention sum held etcThis is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
I'm getting mine done and did a lot of reading about what the requirements were. Main things are as Hoploz quotes: building regs and planning. Then getting someone who was recommended and making sure there was a clear quote and staged payments. Good luckSaving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j0
-
the_r_sole wrote: »Be aware that building control inspections only confirm that the work being carried out satisfies building control requirements - they don't have any comment on workmanship etc.
You need to establish the companies snagging procedure and whether there is a retention sum held etc
The comment about workmanship is spot on and I second that. Many people do not realise the Inspections have little bearing on workmanship. I have seen countless bad instances when if challenged the Inspector could argue "well it just about works - but it is not good", or "it just about passes - but it is not good", or "that is the consumers problem".
Depending on your attitude to budgeting you could engage a Clerk Of Works, or a Chartered Building Surveyor to inspect the works. Very few people do, yet many people then complain about problems with all sorts of issues from time taken, to extras, to payment regime, to workmanship.
The critical thing before engaging your company is to be consumer savvy. Determine how long they have been trading, are they solvent, what real references they have for work, then visit these and ask real probing questions of these people. Weigh up who you are dealing with, determine if the operatives are skilled and competent, will the work be sub-contracted out, who will end up at your home doing the work. what are the welfare requirements, what safety regime occurs... are just a some points to determine.0 -
Just one point. You say the building company have said that you don't need to apply for PP as it is within permitted development. Be aware that you need to apply for prior approval for this. No fee (in our area anyway), but needs to be done.
We were told that we didn't need PP either, but we were refused prior approval.
Do your own research and make sure.Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
(he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
:D:D0 -
Just one point. You say the building company have said that you don't need to apply for PP as it is within permitted development. Be aware that you need to apply for prior approval for this. No fee (in our area anyway), but needs to be done.
We were told that we didn't need PP either, but we were refused prior approval.
Do your own research and make sure.
That's not the case - there's no requirement to get a certificate of lawfulness to prove it's permitted development, it's just that some people like to have a written confirmation from the local authority (and it's prudent to do it for resale)This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
