🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help!! Barclaycard PPI offer?!!

Options
Hi
I would be really grateful if anyone could advise me.
Last week I realised my partner was still paying PPI on his barclaycard, despite him being self employed for last 24 years (I know!!!) one quick call to them and they have admitted he was mis-sold, however they only had records over past 6 years therefore would average his payments. Problem is, he has hardly used card in past 6 years whereas 10 years ago tens of thousands went through it so he would have been paying more premiums. They obviously want him to settle as yesterday sent him a cheque for £670, he has a week left to accept.
Is it worth him going up in loft to try and find old statements as that is what they are asking for or does that sum sound about right?
Thanks for reading!! Any advice gratefully received!!

Comments

• sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As the account is still active Barclaycard will have copies of transactions going back much further than six years to at least 1998. if you don't find any old statements in your own archive you could send a DSAR to them and see what it produces. The other issue is where records are missing they are supposed to base redress on an average of your credit card spending.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it worth him going up in loft to try and find old statements as that is what they are asking for or does that sum sound about right?

Barclaycard used to keep a running 6 year period of statement but now have longer.

Where you have statements, they are required to use those as evidence of PPI being paid. So, yes, if you have them, it does make sense.

Where neither they or you have statements, they are required to look at your borrowing history on the card at the time in question. This is not always available. So, they have to look at the borrowing history during the period that is available and make a decision on that. This can lead to someone get less or more than they really ought to but its about the best you can do without evidence. In the early days of PPI complaints, no evidence meant no payout.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angedeef wrote: »
    Hi

Last week I realised my partner was still paying PPI on his barclaycard, despite him being self employed for last 24 years (I know!!!)

As an aside to your case, while commonly stated by claims companies, being self employed is NOT in itself a miss-sale reason, PPI does cover the self-employed, there are some policies where the claim conditions are too onerous and the FOS has ruled in favour of the card holder but your reason for refund may be that or some other reason the bank won't tell you about.

If you have statements, get them out and send copies to the bank though do remember you only PPI when you had a balance you didn't clear, so even if you spent the card limit every month then and only £50 a month now, if the balance was cleared there would be no PPI paid which will also affect how much of a refund you get - you obviously only ever get back what you paid in PPI
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but your reason for refund may be that or some other reason the bank won't tell you about.

Possibly as its just £670 and easier to pay out and argue. Not saying it is that but that figure is the ballpark where auto payout amounts are common.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport