Alternatives to laburnums

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
4 replies 1.1K views
lee8040lee8040 Forumite
554 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I am after a hedge plant that grows as high as a laburnum and has leave right to the base of the stem etc but not toxic like these. Yew and hawthorn is not an option either. Can anyone recommend any please.

Replies

• paddy's_mumpaddy's_mum Forumite
    4K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really enough information here to give a sensible reply, in my opinion.

Perhaps if you could say what you want to achieve or why hawthorn is not acceptable you would get more answers.
  • lee8040lee8040 Forumite
    554 Posts
    Want to grow a hedge about 5ft high that doesn't loose it's leaves and has thick foliage. Can produce flowers but needs to be safe with kids. Just don't like hawthorn
  • paddy's_mumpaddy's_mum Forumite
    4K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Privet, laurel, escallonia, beech, cotoneaster, holly, box, some conifers.

Any half decent charity shop will have a gardening book or two that will perhaps steer you.

I particularly like escallonia whose flowers are a magnet for insects and I generally cut mine only once a year just to keep it tidy.

Hope that helps.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lee8040 wrote: »
    I am after a hedge plant that grows as high as a laburnum and has leave right to the base of the stem etc.
    lee8040 wrote: »
    Want to grow a hedge about 5ft high that doesn't loose it's leaves and has thick foliage.

Odd request as laburnum grows much higher than 5ft and gets bare stems lower down. :(

paddy's mum gives some good advice.

Also loads of info on sites like https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=351
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals