PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Water bill been put up and water butt now empty!

Options
13»

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you get a shower fitted? I'd have thought that would make a big difference.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To prevent jeans from leaching: right after you buy them, put them to soak in a bucket with cold water and some vinegar. This will fix the dye. Then, hang out to dry, preferably outside, and the smell will go, too. They are now good to throw in with the dark load.
    How old is your son?
    Can you hang out your clothes to air, and then wear them again before you wash them?
    Some really good tips on saving water can be found on Frugal Queen's blog (frugal in cornwall).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    2 adults
    Anglian water
    Apporx. £350 in total bills per year.
    Washing 3 loads per week ( 1 white, 1 colours, 1 what ever is left, 8 kg machine)
    We use bath, shower, both daily, dish washer may be twice per week
    Have dual flush toilets
    We are not particular a water saving couple, we could do better.
    I water the garden from the outside tap, I know could do better
    We wash cars x 2 about every 4 weeks, he washes his motorbike, every time it has been out! I know could do better..................
    Breast Cancer Now 100 miles October 2022 100 / 100miles
    D- Day 80km June 2024 0/80km
    Sun, Sea
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheel sweetie, I've been giving your washing problems a lot of thought, (I live a very boring life.)

I have come to the conclusion that you need a completely different mind set. Have you ever considered washing something because it's dirty and not just because it is the day to wash it?

I find it hard to believe that you can only wear a pair of jeans twice before they are too dirty to wear again, unless you are a gardener or painter/decorator.
    Likewise, what on earth are you doing to your cushion covers and throws to make them so grubby that they need washing every three weeks. I could just about believe every three months if you have a hairy dog that is allowed on the furniture or if you spread them about the floor and invite friends to come and dance on them. Otherwise you are washing them because it is their week to be washed and not because they need washing.

Let this be your mantra....It only needs washing if it is DIRTY.

X
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since I have just pegged two loads out :D I'll list mine.

5 Purple T shirts and 3 pairs of black trousers (work wear)
    2 pairs of OH's work trouser and 5 black T shirts (work wear)
    All socks and non white underwear. Plus a few coloured clothes

That is a weeks worth of work clothes and clothes worn outside of work for two adults.

Another load will be one double bed and white underwear (our bedding is cream/white) Next time I do the bedding (next week) I shall do the t towels and dish clothes.

Towels go in with the coloured at the start.

The only other load is my "best stuff" which I wash at 30 and wait until I have four or five things. So every three weeks or so.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Monna is right cheel (this happens with alarming regularity...). You need to think about whether things are dirty, or have just been worn but are clean enough to wear again.

For the latter, I have a chair in the bedroom where worn-but-still-clean clothes are neatly folded. If I think they need airing before folding I put them on a hanger on the shower rail or curtain pole for a bit.

Like many others I put underwear in with bedding/towels (because I like that to go on a hot wash too) and split by white/light and coloured/dark. I do occasionally have a pink/red wash as I have a LOT of those colours.

If you use vinegar instead of fabric conditioner then you can wash towels in with everything else and not worry about affecting their absorbency.

Duvet covers don't need washing weekly either - in the 'old days' when I had sheets and blankets in the summer the top sheet used to go to the bottom each week and a new top sheet would be put on. So each sheet would have a week on top and a week on the bottom meaning only one sheet to wash and iron each week. Duvet covers are like washing two sheets, so take a lot of space. Remember that they have two sides, so can be turned. If they are the same both sides, find a way to work out what the difference is (poppers/buttons may be different for example) and then turn them weekly.

hopefully some of the ideas here will help.

I'm just about to take a mixed load of towels, bedding and undies out of the machine to hand out in the sunshine!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Somebody on MSE once posted, which I find very useful, that to check if your machine is full, put your hand in and do a thumbs-up on top of the washing (not rammed obviously). If there's room to do a thumbs up, there's enough room for the machine to wash it. If you've got a lot of spare space, there's still room for other things.

We have 2 double duvet covers and a bottom sheet with a valance plus 2 pillow cases in a bedding wash. I'm fairly sure there'd be enough room for a single duvet cover and sheet instead of one of the double duvet covers. You could probably get all your bedding in the same wash if the colours aren't wildly different.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ring them up & talk to them about it. I did this some years ago & told them I wasn't paying any more, they actually put my payments back down again.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If shirts blouses and 'knickknacks' are a full load and you wash four pairs of jeans for you and two for your jelly bean im not sure what the two loads of colours are

do you come home and get changed meaning two full sets of clothes each a day because i wouldnt wash those after being worn from say after school at 4 to bedtime at 8 id just fold them and out them on a chair for the next day

Ive gotten very pragmatic since jellybean and lollipop as having two under three means not much time to fuss over what goes in what wash and everything gets done at 40 or 90

when jelly first came along id do three loads a day for me oh work and 'babied' things and i wasnt doing anything but washing and drying when i was carrying pops i just couldnt do it and was bursting into tears surrounded by damp clothes

now i do three or four a week max in a six kilo machine normally on two days to let it dry before i do more

we wear until actually dirty and change into pjs if not going out again plus workwear

everyone uses the same towels which are hung after use unless dirty then go in the hamper at the end of the week and washed when there is a load with bedding ill wash all sheets together or put pillowcases in with our normal clothes

not sure why you think bedding needs a hotter wash than pjs given you sleep in them both or maybe you wash pjs after just one night
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    The coloured is his uniform sock and undies my tops socks leggings ect.

When my asthma was diagnosed I was told I needed to wash bedding on 60 to kill the dust mites, hoover the bed, dampdust ect. And have do e that ever since, I will check but I don't think the advice has changed.

Yes JK0I think an electric shower would help a lot, I have spoken to the housing officer and I'm allowed to install one but have to use agreed tradesmen or something. So that means I cant ask the brother in law who is a plumber ! Bit I suppose they have these rules to save us from dangerous. DIY lol!

Yes monna there is definitely a habitual element to the way I put the same things in on the same days ect, I must look and see if it needs it instead of just doing it on automatic pilot!

Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought here!

:)
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business