PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Water bill been put up and water butt now empty!

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Here's the washing I do, I'm not sure how I could get it below 8 loads? They all need different settings.

2 loads of coloureds a week,
    1 load of whites
    Sons bedding
    My bedding
    Towels and bathmat
    Jeans
    Throws and cushion covers
    One load of work washing (the covers I use for work table, wedding dresses ect)

All but the whites load will be a full load .

I'm not sure how I could reduce this but am open to suggestions :)

Cheel xx

Assuming you have a double bed and your son a single, isn't your bedding a much bigger load than his?
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Could you rejig the coloureds to put jeans in with those? Do you really have a load of jeans each week between two of you? Denim actually shouldn't / doesn't need washing too often.

Throws and cushion covers don't need washing weekly surely? Unless you have particularly muddy pets.

Could you wait on the whites until you have a full load?

I also understand that dishwashers are actually more water efficient than hand washing dishes, obviously you have the initial cost if you don't already have one though but just thought I'd mention it in case you have one but aren't using it. Obviously ensure its full before running it or put it on half load.

Tbh, we were on a water meter before and your bill is less than mine and OH was, we mainly had showers vs baths and I tired to be economical with the water but it still didn't seem it vary the costs much.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The water that is running cold before washing up, can you fill your washing up bowl with it and tip it into your water butt for use on the garden? Or run it into a bucket you can then use for flushing the loo?

Although your water supplier have changed the DD is this because they have read the meter or are they estimating? If you've got a screwdriver you can lever up the cover on the meter and check it yourself.

Years ago when I only had a bath, I used to shuffle water in a bucket from the bath into the water butt in the summer for use on the garden.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a specially small WM?

I find that once my bedding goes in there is usually room for my underwear, nightclothes and pale coloured outer clothes.
    How many pairs of jeans do the pair of you get through in a week? Surely there would be room for some coloureds as well.
    Do your throws and cushion covers need to be washed every week? I know I'm not particularly house proud but that seems completely excessive to me. Mine aren't even done once a month.
    Can't towels go in with whites unless they are coloured when they could go in with jeans.

I have a sneaky feeling that you are washing things that don't really need it and unless your machine is unusually small you could combine some loads.

Also, gather together some buckets and catch the bathwater while it is still warming up. This can be used for flushing toilets, cleaning teeth, cleaning floors and on the garden.

In 1976 during the drought I remember a demonstration on TV on how to stand in a washing up bowl, fill a bucket with water and wash yourself all over with soap and rinse with the clean water and a large sponge. The water in the bowl was then used for cleaning, flushing and garden.
    It's not easy. It's not convenient. But it saves money.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I have to agree that's a lot of washing for two people. I don't do that many loads in three weeks! Unless its a very small machine the bedding from both beds could be washed together for instance.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here's the washing I do, I'm not sure how I could get it below 8 loads? They all need different settings.

2 loads of coloureds a week,
    1 load of whiteswhat are these whites when you are doing bedding towels on seperate washes?
    Sons bedding single bed? Can you not wash it in with yours or along with towels
    My beddingsee above
    Towels and bathmatsee above
    Jeansseriously? A seperate was for jeans? Hubby wears a pair for work,and a pair the weekends. I live in them. They get washed in with the colours
    Throws and cushion coversYou wash these weekly? I've the most stinkiest dogs on earth and I do throws when there's room in the coloured wash and the seat cushions 3/4 times a year. It's what fabreeze was invented for and I do believe you don't have a dog
    One load of work washing (the covers I use for work table, wedding dresses ect)

All but the whites load will be a full load .

I'm not sure how I could reduce this but am open to suggestions :)

Cheel xx

Seriously you are washing waaaaaaaay too much for a household your size.

I'm really fussy about my whites, underwear and certain items can sit for weeks in the laundry till I have a full load.

Coloureds are split in two washed, a 40 and a 60, his filthy work clothes and jeans ar 60, the rest in a 40 quick wash

Face clothes, towels, tea towels , dishcloths, bedding, in a 60, altogether

It's only when I'm washing cushion covers etc will I have more then 4 washes a week, and as above that's certainly not weekly
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Well the whites are the white things t shirts, blouses, few bits underware :) our bedding isn't white and yes my bedding fills.the machine, sons doesn't but as they need a sixty wash min to kill dust mites I've just been doing them as a separate cycle. And the throws and cushion covers I should have said there's three sets, living room, mine, sons. So one set washed a week, means each room is done every three weeks. Jeans are separate because they dull other items as the dye leaches out I just do my 4 pairs and sons 2 once a week . Its only just under the weight for the machine I think but its been a fair while since I checked.

I'm not sure if its particularly small or not. Its a beko, from memory the weight for most cycles is 4 or 5 kg, tho I must admit I'm just in the routine of setting it on delay before I go to bed each night, so maybe I should get the scales and manual out to make sure I'm not further below the recommended weight than I think I am.

Xx
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh my, I'm lazy it seems. Yes and according to my mum to. Everything gets chucked in together, whites, coloured. Seems to come out fine. Sorry, embarrassed. 5 here and I don't think I do 8 loads a week, though maybe that at a max
  • ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well the whites are the white things t shirts, blouses, few bits underware :) our bedding isn't white and yes my bedding fills.the machine, sons doesn't but as they need a sixty wash min to kill dust mites I've just been doing them as a separate cycle. And the throws and cushion covers I should have said there's three sets, living room, mine, sons. So one set washed a week, means each room is done every three weeks. Jeans are separate because they dull other items as the dye leaches out I just do my 4 pairs and sons 2 once a week . Its only just under the weight for the machine I think but its been a fair while since I checked.

I'm not sure if its particularly small or not. Its a beko, from memory the weight for most cycles is 4 or 5 kg, tho I must admit I'm just in the routine of setting it on delay before I go to bed each night, so maybe I should get the scales and manual out to make sure I'm not further below the recommended weight than I think I am.

Xx

I do bedding, towels, t-towels and whites on a 60 wash. Jeans and coloureds on a 40 wash. The bedding, towels and whites i will mix in the machine, although our bedding is super kingsize and it fills the machine, the other bedding gets washed with stuff. Some of the bedding is white, some of the towels are white and some of our underwear and socks are white.

Jeans and coloureds get washed together.

I use a wool wash for wool items and some times they have to wait for a while until I have enough to fill the machine.

The only time I don't wash towels with whites is when they are first washed - some times the amount of fluff is huge and occasionally the colour might run - I had it happen with a red towel I bought but only the first time.

If you're worried buy some colour catchers.
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my, I'm lazy it seems. Yes and according to my mum to. Everything gets chucked in together, whites, coloured. Seems to come out fine. Sorry, embarrassed. 5 here and I don't think I do 8 loads a week, though maybe that at a max

that's not only you. 1 wash a week for 2. then when we've got too much we 'll do an extra one.

two people, 1 bed flat- 160 per year all in. have dishwasher and shower, dual flush loo. all water saving on taps and shower. Esseex and suffolk.

my advice buy darks.. put all in together,
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family