Joys of selling cars and caravans - NOT!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
20 replies 3.7K views
paulfoelpaulfoel Forumite
5.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Not a lot of joy doing this. Not sold a car privately for some time but its amazing to see how rude a lot of people are. The car is sold but I'm still selling caravan and some of the bits. I've had:-

- People who text you, ask for address, tell you they'll be there in 30 mins then don't show up. Then they don't even reply when you text.

- People who don't decide if they want or can afford the item before coming to look at it. Have had people who wasted days of my time then realised the insurance was expensive (why not check that first?)

- One fella said he'd be there in 30 mins. Turned up at 1030pm 4 hours later. Then offered me HALF the asking price.

- Lots of offers of HALF the asking price. BUT they'll pay cash. (Don't people realise that its cash anyway even if you pay the asking price).

- One lady said be there half hour one evening. Turned up on the doorstep NEXT day at 1pm then said we'd wasted her time because she couldnt test drive car because wife was on her way out the door going to work (and I was in work).

- Fella who said yes I want it (Stupidly I didnt take a desposit) and would be back with cash tomorrow. Didn't show. Blanked me when I text him. 3 weeks later phoned and said got cash now, be around at 6pm to collect it? Umm, no.

- Fella who did the same. Said he definitely wanted one of the parts I was selling. Didn't show. Phoned a week later and was miffed that I'd sold it to someone else when he'd told me he wanted it.

On the plus side, I did have one guy who didn't show. Thought heres another one. Got a call from this guys son - his Dad had been taken ill and was in hospital but he'd asked his son to phone me to apologise for letting me down. Impressed with that. When you've got the scummers who cant even be bothered to reply to a text saying no longer interested.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Replies

• edited 21 July 2016 at 8:56AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2016 at 8:56AM
    I sympathise fully.
    A lot if these will be dealers or wannabe dealers.
    I have a trick I use when I sell on eBay. Never give out your house number till the very last minute. Tell them to fix a time then ring you half an hour before they arrive.then and only then give them the house number.
    Also, for security, I don't like giving my address out to people who might turn up when I'm out.
    Also tell them you have someone else who's really interested so, that's why they need to ring to confirm.
    A bit like gremlins, no matter how much they beg and plead , don't believe any promises and don't reserve .
  • paulfoelpaulfoel Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hollydays wrote: »
    I sympathise fully.
    A lot if these will be dealers or wannabe dealers.
    I have a trick I use when I sell on eBay. Never give out your house number till the very last minute. Tell them to fix a time then ring you half an hour before they arrive.then and only then give them the house number

Yes I think a lot of the ones offering half are chancers or dealers. Probably make 10 offers a day hoping one will bite.

Yes I don't like giving out my address because, as I've found, some people think it gives them the right to show up at your door whatever time in the future they like. BUT I've had one or two not show up when I've given address and they said they'll be there in 30 mins!

I remember when I bought the caravan. We bought one but had a few more viewings lined up. I text every single one to cancel. Seems people are just rude.
  • edited 21 July 2016 at 9:07AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2016 at 9:07AM
    I edited my post after to say similar to you. Yes , there are a lot of chancers, I have a bit of experience of buying and selling myself , so I know (and avoid )the type.
    Another thing I say to People is that I work, but can come home for an hour( this makes people stick to a one hour window). I never let people view after seven as this often means they turn up at 10.30 pm.
    Time is money, and I'm not spending hours waiting for no hopers to turn up( rant over!)
    :)
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hollydays wrote: »
    I edited my post after to say similar to you. Yes , there are a lot of chancers, I have a bit of experience of buying and selling myself , so I know (and avoid )the type.
    Another thing I say to People is that I work, but can come home for an hour( this makes people stick to a one hour window). I never let people view after seven as this often means they turn up at 10.30 pm.
    Time is money, and I'm not spending hours waiting for no hopers to turn up( rant over!)
    :)

I dont think I could do something like sell from home on a regular basis - it'd do my head in!

I've put a few things up for £5 and I get texts, please send me a better pic, then they dont turn up. Sometimes I think, its £5 why did I bother?

I sold a caravan lock thing for £5 - they're about £40 normally. I bought it years ago and it never fitted my caravan. Had a guy saying hmmm can I bring it back if it doesnt fit? Its a FIVER. No!!!! Sell it on.
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I haven't sold a car privately for years, laziness on my part but when we were offered silly PX money advertised car on Autotrader for £8,400. Had no calls for two days then two people interested, one drove 60 miles and gave us £8,100 cash, really nice guys, didn't test drive, just started the engine and had a good look, wouldn't have a drink as it was Ramadan.
    Bit worried about having the cash overnight but went to bank first thing next day.
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's two sides to this:

Yes some people are chancers and will make stupid offers. Then you have the problem of test drives, insurance, no shows, stolen bank drafts, fake notes, implied warranty, dissatisfied buyers, buyers remorse etc. This is why companies such as We Buy Any Car thrive and why so many people just think Ferk It! and just part exchange with a dealer.

On the flip side, there are a lot of cars for sale. You have to make some effort to accommodate buyers and take a risk or two. Timewasters are mandatory. It's up to you to filter them. Prudence would be to ignore any texts that make a half price offer, ignore texts where ppl cnt spel, if anything rely on good old fashioned telephone calls to gauge if someone is more genuine. You need to tell people where you live so that they can gauge if it's worth travelling to. You don't need to give an exact address - "1 minute from Tesco, Bigglestown" is sufficient.

Most of all if anyone says "Bruv" then put the phone down! :D
    The man without a signature.
  • sillygoosesillygoose Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assumed people offering half were expecting to haggle, with you both moving closer until you met in the middle so resulting in 25% off the asking price.

If not then they can go away!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's sensible haggling and being an insulting !!!!!!.

Let's say we have a £4,000 family hatchback, an in demand everyday car, good condition and similar cars are advertised at similar prices.

Offering £2k is unacceptable. If someone is going to do this then close the door immediately. It is unlikely to be someone serious.

Offering £3.5k is OK and it's closer to the asking price to tempt the seller by showing you are serious. Then you can negotiate to a buying/selling price that both parties are happy with.
    The man without a signature.
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    vikingaero wrote: »
    There's sensible haggling and being an insulting !!!!!!.

Let's say we have a £4,000 family hatchback, an in demand everyday car, good condition and similar cars are advertised at similar prices.

Offering £2k is unacceptable. If someone is going to do this then close the door immediately. It is unlikely to be someone serious.

Offering £3.5k is OK and it's closer to the asking price to tempt the seller by showing you are serious. Then you can negotiate to a buying/selling price that both parties are happy with.

I'd agree. I just ignore them. Offering half is just a ptake. Chancers who make the same offer to about 50 people hoping one will bite.

Also, people who think that saying I've got the cash now will make a difference. As if my eyes are going to light up at the thought of a wedge of cash.

Its cash anyway - that is the one and only option - and, whereas you can leave a deposit, I have no issue in waiting a
    few days for the balance. Either way the car/caravan goes nowhere until its paid for in full in cash.

Had someone this weekend drive 3 hours to see my caravan. Took one look and said - its too big for us. Seems strange - surely google the model before you waste time!

Also had the standard paypal scam email. Im disabled, will give you full asking price, need to send a courier to collect it, will pay by paypal etc. Replied to that one saying, no paypal, but you can send Father Xmas to collect it as long as he shows up with the cash. Didn't get a reply.

Selling a few bits off as well from the caravan. Got one or two things for £10 each. One guy must have text me 10 times offering a fiver. No. Cant believe the effort he went to try and save £5.

(Best I ever saw was a car boot sale I was selling at. Guy next to me seemed to have a bit of business selling 2nd hand electrical stuff. Fair play to him. Guy who seemed like a restaurant owner or something spend 45 mins telling him how poor he was, how he could only afford £10 for this microwave and not £15. He came and went, came back to badger again. In the end he got it for £10 because they guy was sick of him I think. But he looked like he'd won the lottery because he got it for £10!)
  • pulliptearspulliptears Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was offered £200 for our £1k caravan. I asked him when he'd like to collect the awning.
    He didn't reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals