Post-Death debts after cash gifts

Options
I've been trying to track down some information with regards to cash gifts paid before death, and any complications that arise post-death within 7 years.

Hypothetical situation:

A dear old Dad has been taken ill and with a bit of luck will pull through. He wants to give his 3 kids a cash gift now as he feels he wants to see them enjoy it.

If he died, his estate would be well under the inheritance tax threshold.

However, his house is in negative equity. If he did die after gifting cash, would the bank chase the kids for cash if they sale didn't pay off the balance?

Thanks,

Vect
~Concerned bystander

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2016 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Vect wrote: »
    I've been trying to track down some information with regards to cash gifts paid before death, and any complications that arise post-death within 7 years.

Hypothetical situation:

A dear old Dad has been taken ill and with a bit of luck will pull through. He wants to give his 3 kids a cash gift now as he feels he wants to see them enjoy it.

However, his house is in negative equity. If he did die after gifting cash, would the bank chase the kids for cash if they sale didn't pay off the balance?

Thanks,

Correction The estate would be insolvent. He should perhaps be reducing the debt rather than giving money away to his family.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    7 years is a period ONLY of relevance to IHT.

The answer is it depends.

A creditor can review the finances of the debtor and apply to the court to have transactions undone.

will they do that depends how much they are owed and how much is given away and if they find out.

You also have the issue of deprivation of assets should the illness require care.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the estate did not have the funds in cash then the house would have to be sold so that the debt could be paid.

If the house is in negative equity, the sale wouldn't clear the debt.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Vect wrote: »

Hypothetical situation:

Thanks,

Vect
    ~Concerned bystander

The 7 year rule only applies to tax issues.

I doubt a creditor would have the power to go back that long.

In practice the advice would be not to 'meddle' in the estate. A relative informs the creditor (mortgage lender) that the owner of the property is deceased and that no one is taking on the role of executor. Then you all step away and leave the creditor take the property and get what they can for it and any other assets.

Assuming this is not totally hypothetical, I wish the Dad well. Hopefully he recovers and has many years to enjoy his family. In the fullness of time, the property may increase in value and the issue goes away.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    I corrected my post. Apologies. It has been a long day!
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure the house is in negative equity?

House prices in the UK have never been as high as they are now, they are 8% higher than the previous peak in 2007/8.

Then there's the deposit and all the repayments which reduce the amount owing.

TBF you'd have to have bought a house near a cliff edge to be in negative equity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure