Not sure what to do next????

Options
Hi all first post so go easy please.

Me and my husband have been reading these baords for a while and decided to contact CCCs about our debt problems. We sent all relevant info off to them and they were extreemly helpful, However have had a phone call today from them telling me we will be unable to go down the original route we wanted (IVA) because over 25% of our income is benefit based.
I feel like we are back to square one with all the stress again and just don't know what to do. They suggested we declare ourselves bankrupt. I am not really familiar with this route and am worried how this could affect our future? We are hoping to emigrate to either New Zealand or Australia in the next 10years and was wondering if being bankrupt would hamper that?
just generally stressing again!! also will my husbands employers need to be informed about the bankruptcy?
any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks Bow xxx

Comments

• madoldbat
    Options
    Bow welcome to the board.You will find lots of help and support from the people on here.Some are going and some like me have gone BR.Others like Debt Doctor work for CAB or CCC.

Ask all the questions you need to no matter how silly they may seem they wont be.Someone will have asked them before.
    I dont know how BR would / wouldnt effect you emigrating but Im sure some one who is better informed will be along shortly.
    BR was our only option and we were not happy about it I dont do stress just big time panick:eek: But we found this site and others very helpful in getting things into preportion.
    Your OH employers only need to be told if its in his C of E or he works in certain kinds of jobs accountancey,banking ect.
    So please take a deep breath a nice cup of tea/coffee and ask away.:beer:
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Welcome. :)
    Bow wrote: »
    We are hoping to emigrate to either New Zealand or Australia in the next 10years and was wondering if being bankrupt would hamper that?

This question comes up a lot on forums like this. So far no-one seems to have found any direct negative impact from bankruptcy being on your record. When the 'immigration service' are assessing you for entry it is more your current financial position, having work arranged/planned, and the other criteria for adding value to their society that influence their judgement. In other words, bankruptcy in the UK is unlikely to do permanent harm in the long run, as long as your other merits for entry are good.
    Bow wrote: »
    just generally stressing again!! also will my husbands employers need to be informed about the bankruptcy?

As madoldbat says there are a few professional in law/finance that are a total no-no for bankruptcy. Apart from those it is best to consult the employment contract's terms and conditions, and/or with a union or professional body to find out the likely stance on bankruptcy (most are just fine). The 'Official Receiver' will not normally inform employers of the bankruptcy unless there is an exceptional reason to do so.

Some general info on bankruptcy can be found at:

Guide to Bankruptcy: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanc...bankruptcy.htm
    How to petition for your own bankruptcy: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanc...ankaccount.htm
    What will happen to my bank account: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanc...topetition.htm

Plus lots of other factsheets at: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanc...ets/Guides.htm

The advice agencies also have factsheets/sections on their websites:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...01_bankruptcy#
    http://www.payplan.com/bankruptcy.php

Plus a list of other useful links at: http://bankruptcysupportersclub.co.uk/links.aspx
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Bow
    Bow Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again, Thank you so much for the helpful comments.
    We have almost certainly decided to go down the route of BR.

Ok my day just got worse. I am currently in the middle of doing an open university course online!!! and guess what?? My PC has packed in!!!!
    I'm using my mum's to post this. So what the hell should i do??? This whole situation just seems like its not going to end!!!
    I have one credit card that i am able to use as i am meeting the minimum payments. Asda have a cheap laptop on offer at the min and i am tempted to go get it on this card. How will this look to the court? what do you guys think i should do? I've got about 6 weeks left of my course and i'm wanting to train as a midwife. I just can't afford not to complete the course!!!??
    thanks in advance xx
  • madoldbat
    Options
    Bow gosh you are having a sh*** day.Have sent a PM.Sure one of our legal eagles will drop in soon and explain exactly what is allowed ect.Till then take care I will pop in again later.
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • temba
    temba Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    Surely you can get computer access at your local library? At least until your finance situation has been sorted out? The last thing you need is a laptop on your credit card as well as everything else

good luck

t
    [SIZE=-4]MF date: Dec [STRIKE]2028[/STRIKE] 2019. Overpayments in 2007=£900, 2008=£1200 2009=23400[/SIZE]
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    How much use will you get out of the computer once your studies are over? If you'll need to use it regularly (eg for other study or work), I'd say get a new one, as you can get one for under £300 these days. You are allowed to replace essential equipment, & unfortunately things do tend to break down at the most inconvenient times. I ordered my replacement computer on the morning before I went BR, & the OR didn't have a problem with it, because (a) I'd bought a very cheap one, using a refund I got from the faulty computer, & (b) I needed it for my studies & for work I do from home, so the OR didn't think I should have used the refund money towards my debts. Make sure you tell the OR on your SOA & when you have your interview that you've bought it & why.

However, if the computer won't be getting used much & is only needed for the next 6 weeks or so, then I'd be less inclined to replace it, as it could be seen as an unnecessary expenditure & the OR may take the view that you deliberately increased your debt when you knew you had no ability to make payment. If the computer won't be used primarily by you, you shouldn't be paying for it on your card anyway - if your OH is going to be the main user, he should be paying for it if you're going BR. I'd check your local library, as you may be able to book a computer there to use on a regular basis. I'd also check internet cafes - I know some of my local ones charge by the hour but also give good discounts for booking 10 hours of internet access at a time. Also, if you go to college or work, you may be able to use their computers after your working/study day has ended. My old college used to let students use the IT suite in the library, & you could book one-hour slots. Are you doing a placement at the moment? If so, why not ask there if you can use one of their computers? When I was at work & studying at the same time & my computer wasn't working, I used to spend a couple of hours there after my working day had finished to do my research & typing at my desk - I cleared it with my boss first. I know it's more awkward than having your own computer, but if it's only for six weeks it's only a temporary inconvenience. :)
  • Bow
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts so far.

I am registered on another Open University course that starts in Feb next year so I will need the Computer for that. The problem is i need to download software for the course and the local library won't allow that (I check that yesterday)!!! Soooooooooo i'm still undecided as to what to do. Both me and my husband are going BR so him purchasing it is also an arkward one!!

We haven't started the ball rolling with the BR. I am going to open an account with the co op today and wait until that is up and running before starting proceedures. I am struggling to get in contact with the local CAB so am gonna contact CCCS again today and see if they can assist me and tell me what and when i should be doing things.

You are all making the stress of this so much better as i know i can jump on here and just ask questions so thank you all sooooooo much.
  • cinnabar
    Options
    Bow - have you applied to the OU for any funding? Even if you can't get funding for the courses themselves, they often give a 250 quid grant for books/computer etc - they also have hardship funds and I think given your present circumstances and the fact the your PC has packed up so close to the end of your course they might be able to help - no harm in trying!
  • fiveyearplan
    Options
    I'd buy the computer as it is essential.

:j :j

• Bow
    Options
    Things just aren't getting any easier. I've been trying to contact the CAB again allday today to no avail. I'm getting migraines constantly, am shouting at kids over the slightest thing and just feel sick at myself for getting into this mess!
    I really need someone to talk to face to face and help me fill in these BR forms. Have phoned CCCS and they have told me not to open an account before we go BR as it will be frozen. I'm worried that if we do go BR the new account won't be up and running in time for my hubby's wage and my tax credits to go in. Then we will have to start broadcasting this mess to other people that probably won't be as understanding as peeps here. I'm sooo ashamed of myself for this whole mess.

The laptop has been the last thing on my mind today and to be honest i feel like i'm taking advantage of my situation if i go ahead and get one.???!!!

If someone here could just tell me what i should be doing that would be great. I feel like i'm wasting valuable time trying to ring the CAB when i could be doing something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure