MMD: Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?

Options

Comments

• trejoy
    Options
    Time spent with family is far more precious than money. She could help to buy him his own computer and teach him to use it, or better still, have a regular invite for him to come to her so that they can use her computer together and spend some quality time.:rotfl:
  • sharrison_2
    Options
    Jordan should set some time to show Peter how to do it for himself and then leave him to it. Time spent on training always pays off in the long run.
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Jordan is a successful business woman with her own scaffolding company

Lol, this is so fake.. :T
  • rubix_76
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »
    It's obvious the granddaughter doesn't want to spend time with her grandfather. If she did she would teach him how to do things himself.

I spent so much time with my grandfather, and we all really enjoyed that time together before he died. We used to make things, and do things together I really enjoy thinking back to what we got up to.

You'll be amazed at how valuable those times are when you get older.

So as many people have said, spending time with family should be about that, TIME, not what you could be doing or how much you can be earning instead.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • rubix_76
    Options
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Lol, this is so fake.. :T

That's why it's called a HYPOTHETICAL situation !
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First, there may be numerous reasons why Peter might not be able to take on the task of learnig how to use a computer and/or utilising the excellent advice provided on the money savings expert forums and elsewhere.
    Second, why can't Jordan help him in her spare time - surely she doesn't work 24.7 and can put some time aside for family members.

Third, I think this is about a grand daughter helping her grandfather to budget and still retain his sense of dignity. For Jordan, and probably for Peter too, it's not really about the financial value of the time she spends doing it at all.
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    Is Martin trying to tell us all something? He’s too busy making money to help us any more? :cry:
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • mollyeyre_2
    Options
    Surely it would be a kind thing to teach him to understand and learn how to access the information, then they would both be happy.
  • eviljim6
    Options
    as someone who is often called on for computer assistance for simple tasks by family I have to say this can be very time consuming and frustrating especially if you need to be doing something else however If I ever don't help I am wracked with guilt as I feel I have let people down.
    I reckon that if Jordan should buy Peter a computer (anything from £299 for a basic set up) and then visit him once a week to teach they'll both be laughing. Quality time and he'll get a his (computer) independance.
    Who knows if she follows my advice we might see him at MSE forum ;)
    "As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey"
  • PaleScene
    PaleScene Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Options
    My read on this was very similar to eviljim's - it isn't just about Jordan making time, and whether or not she's being selfish, for me the key word was that Peter is 'constantly' asking her advice. Given her business, she may be working some or a lot of the time from home and therefore seemingly able to be interrupted, which could interfere with her using her time efficiently and not really be anything to do with whether or not she uses time that is her down time with helping Peter.

In my family it's my Dad who gets to be permanently on call, not just from family members but all of the village and church lot it seems :o

I agree that the way forward is for them to use some of their time productively in tutorials, rather than her taking it on as a task, and maybe a bit of communication about arranging times for this.
    Do I Need One Stops All Unnecessary Reckless Spending
    £2 CSC - £30 :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family