Correcting info on the Claims and Underwriting Exchange DB

Options
I renewed my motorcycle insurance yesterday and was told that I had an outstanding fault claim against my name, which I did not recognise.

The person on the end of the phone seemed rather inexperienced because it took 45 minutes to discover that it was actually two claims, both logged in CUE against my name but at my parents address. I've not lived there for 20 years so I was a bit surprised. She said she could not send me the information electronically, so read out three dates and two amounts and also eventually gave me a reference number and the name of the insurers who had logged it (DirectLine). No registration plate was recorded for the accident!

I got in touch with my dad who said the first date matched the date he had moved to a new insurers.
I called DirectLine and after a lot of faffing about (because the reference number didn't bring anything up on their systems) was passed to someone who was talking to someone else in a different team and said that they could see two claims, one in 2013 and one in 2015. But because they were on my fathers account and not mine he wouldn't tell me any more, even though I said I just wanted to read the dates out and he could tell if they were the same ones. He said he was going to transfer me to the team he was talking to and then cut me off (thanks!)

I spoke to my dad again who said he had been with Sainsburys but moved in late July last year, and that the dates matched 2 accidents he'd had. I'm assuming Sainsburys updated CUE when he left because this didn't come up last year when I renewed. I'm not sure why DirectLine were on the database entry though, unless Sainsburys are reselling their products.

My question is how do I ensure that the data is corrected? Whose responsibility is it, CUE or Sainsburys? If it's Sainsburys how can I talk to them about it when the data transfer was meant to be done for someone else (my dad) and I'm not a customer of theirs? My insurers have told me they need proof that the accidents were not mine so they can refund the additional premium I paid, so who should I ask for this information?

It seems mad that they can log data about an accident in CUE without including the registration of the vehicle involved, and without a clear indication about who entered it.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Yappaty.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You need to ask (demand) that the insurer who put the wrong information onto CUE corrects it. (Get them to confirm back to you in writing they have done so)
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think Direct Line underwrite some of the Sainsburys Insurances, possibly using their underwriters name UK Insurance

CUE have responsibilities under Data Protection for accuracy if data, so you can service notice on them that their data is in breach if the DPA.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience, which may be dated, is that CUE stores claims data provided by insurers.

When a policy is taken out or a claim made, the data is screened against CUE and matches are flagged up. A match would be something like name and date of birth or date of birth and postcode.

Just because a match is found doesn’t mean that claims are actually logged against your name.

It could be that the data is correct, just that your insurers are interpreting it wrongly.

I have known it to flag up several home claims at an address despite the policyholder saying they had no claims. Easily cleared up for insurers as the policyholder had just bought the flat. Sadly, flagged up to them that their upstairs neighbour had flooded the flat several times.

Do you and your father have the same name?

You can do a subject access request to CUE to see what, if anything, they hold on you.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CUE would come up at Sainsburys and Direct Line, as Direct Line deal with Sainsburys claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure