Blowing in the Winds of Change

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I know you are not in Suffolk but here is a link to our blue badge scheme - https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/blue-badge-scheme/apply-for-a-blue-badge-parking-permit/

as you can see there is a discretionary category which I think you fit into nicely.

Most schemes will have this category because not everyone is able to claim the benefits listed.

The form is straight forward and you just take the form to the GP for him to complete and sign.
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Knit Witch - keeping fingers crossed your new badge comes through without any hassle!
    ..They must have changed the rules in the last few years. We initially sent in a "passport-style" head-shot of DH I'd taken on my camera - it was rejected by return of post; "proper" passport 'photos only were acceptable at that time.

Maggiem - thanks for joining in, and welcome! :T
    ..Yers; tried to 'phone for a GP appointment today (still registered at homehome which is only a few miles away). Thought it would be better to request seeing "my" GP rather than one of the others in the surgery, because he knows me so the general deterioration in m' mobility should be obvious to him. It used to take six weeks to get an appointment, now his list is full for the next two months so the receptionist said they're not giving out any more slots "for the time being". Rather stumped me; told her I'd call back later.. :o

EE - thanks for that link! :T
    The help-group I emailed sent me the equivalent link for the local council here. Started filling it in but got stuck; will have to ask DS4 to time me walking 100 yards - absolutely no idea how long it takes me, on a good or bad day! The form also made me laugh: "An average step is just under a yard in length" it said - haha, mine is more like eighteen inches! :rotfl:

As usual the dog is getting better service than the over-stretched NHS can provide for humans: New Vet 'phoned this morning; CD is starting a urine infection, probably caused by over-enthusiastic washing of her nether regions which pushed some bugs up her front passage (sorry if TMI :o). It's not too bad as yet, but almost certainly the cause of my thinking CD 'isn't quite right' at the moment. So we're off across town again shortly to collect a prescription for antibiotics; nip it in the bud before CD really starts to feel ill.

Yesterday's spends:
    Vet - £18.50
    YT supper treats from M&S - £7.50
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    Just realised it's not my own crumbling physical state which is causing sadness today..
    It's the anniversary of one of Divo Three's childhood friends.

The first time, the very first time he went out on it, the bike ended up wrapped around a lamp-post. There were no second chances for DS3's friend. :cry:
    Ten years ago today..
    RIP J :A

That is so sad Robin, not something you or DS3 will ever forget.
    Something similar happened to one of Dad's friend's son - I didn't know him well as I was a few years older, but he passed his driving test and they bought him car for his 18th, 3 weeks later he died in a car crash, it destroyed the family as his mother never recovered really, it was very hard for the younger siblings.

Good luck with the blue badge.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,354 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad CD is doing ok Robin. Re the badly behaved children in Tosco - while you've been living in Spain children in the UK have become free range and are allowed to roam freely in public places with no interference from their parents - see what you've been missing :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    Maggiem - thanks for joining in, and welcome! :T
    ..Yers; tried to 'phone for a GP appointment today (still registered at homehome which is only a few miles away). Thought it would be better to request seeing "my" GP rather than one of the others in the surgery, because he knows me so the general deterioration in m' mobility should be obvious to him. It used to take six weeks to get an appointment, now his list is full for the next two months so the receptionist said they're not giving out any more slots "for the time being". Rather stumped me; told her I'd call back later.. :o I was absolutely gobsmacked by how long it takes you to get an appointment. Here in NZ I am surprised if I can't get in with my own doctor within a couple of days, and any doctor probably the same day! Even though I whole heartedly support a free NHS at the point of delivery, I do wonder whether there would be more free slots if people had to pay a token sum per appointment, even if only 5 pounds. and the same if you didn't turn up. ....

EE - thanks for that link! :T
    The help-group I emailed sent me the equivalent link for the local council here. Started filling it in but got stuck; will have to ask DS4 to time me walking 100 yards - absolutely no idea how long it takes me, on a good or bad day! The form also made me laugh: "An average step is just under a yard in length" it said - haha, mine is more like eighteen inches! :rotfl:Yes that is the stride of a 6ft 6 man but not me either, and I suspect my stride is longer than yours by quite a bit!
    Glad to hear that you nipped any potential illness in the bud with CD. Hope you can sort things out with you
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Sorry to hear about J, these motorbikes are awful things Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • *Robin*
    edited 4 September 2016 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Hello dear MSE friends, :hello:

Thanks for popping in, NOA, Sun.A, Chev and Lucky. As always, your comments and support are most welcome, spurring me on at low moments.. :T
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Re the badly behaved children in Tosco - while you've been living in Spain children in the UK have become free range and are allowed to roam freely in public places with no interference from their parents - see what you've been missing :)

Sun.A - free range? Feral, more like! ..The first night we spent at PNH, I caught the little darlings from the house behind 'our' parking area trying to start a fire underneath camper-van - right below the gas locker :eek: - by putting lit matches back into a full box.. Luckily they were too young or stupid to know safety matches won't catch like that!
    There's been no recurrence of bad behaviour from those kids as I made a point of telling DS about it the next morning while we were standing by the van - when I knew the parents were in their garden just on the other side of the hedge.. We heard the bloke say quietly to his missus:
    "I wondered where the barbecue matches had gone.."

Last night we had our first experience of true chavvy would-be criminality..
    Just after dark a group of teenagers walked past. One of them said:
    "Look, the top's open - give me a leg-up!" A couple of loud bangs on the side of camper-van followed immediately - guess the misbred scroat was trying to grab onto the edge of the roof. It startled CD, who gave a gentle, surprised "Wuff!" before I could react - at which the whole group began screaming like little girls and ran off down the footpath! :cool:
    "Just as well they couldn't see how decrepit we both are," I told CD, as we shared a reassuring cuddle. :rotfl:

Perhaps it was a well-timed warning; Muggins won't be leaving van's roof-light open again when we're not inside it! ..This suburb is supposed to be the most desirable 'working class' area of the city, but alas it is en route to the centre from a large HA estate which has the worst reputation. That is a fact I'll hold in reserve when discussing an exact price for PNH. Current owner's arrival has been delayed; he's having to look after his very sick partner - I said not to worry about us, he should do what he needs to - meanwhile am getting the funds together..
    Must say I much prefer buying a house this way; there's a thread running on HB,R&S at the moment which is a real cautionary tale!

Divo Four kindly offered to go and pick up CD's antibiotics for me yesterday evening. It's true that he can cycle over to the clinic faster than it would take me to "tat down" (as full-timing-van-dweller mates so charmingly put it ;)).
    Gave him all the cash I had, thinking he'd have plenty of change - but it wasn't enough! ..Now know why New Vet offered to issue a prescription so that I could buy the meds on-line; was absolutely gob-smacked at the difference in price between Spain and the UK for exactly the same box of pills (8.50€ compared to £48.50! :eek:).
    Anyway, it turned out to be the right thing to do. Poor CD went through a terrible night; the infection had obviously taken hold because she was incredibly restless between 0100 and 0530, after waking up with a bout of incontinence. :(
    At least she'd already had the first dose of her expensive antibiotics, and now following the second she's starting to look much more comfortable. But I was so [STRIKE]kna[/STRIKE] tired by five ayem that I dug out Dear Vet's precautionary big-pharma sedatives for travelling (just in case the 'natural' ones didn't do the trick). Luckily CD finally settled down before my exhausted brain could make sense of the instruction leaflet. :o

Because of our bad night, I've abandoned any thoughts of all activities beyond taking a gentle stroll down to the river today. Which is a shame, but so it goes. Means that a planned trip this weekend won't happen as I'll have to do then what I ought to have done today. :o

Chev - Was offered an appointment with a another doctor at the surgery after a wait of just under three weeks, or 'emergency slots' are available if one can get through on the 'phone between 0745 - 0830 (but am certainly not sick enough to warrant claiming one of those). The surgery serves three villages, one of which has expanded a lot in recent years.
    Do agree a small charge would make "the worried well" think twice before clogging up the waiting room - personally I much prefer going to see m' private doctor in Spain: Turn up any time between 0800 - 1400 or 1700 - 2000 without needing an appointment, but they require a payment of £30. No rubbish about only getting eight minutes to try and explain one's problem, either.

NOA - think we all know at least one person who's come off worst in a traffic accident. I've lost a few friends over the years, every one a heart-breaking story.. :cry:

Lucky - ((hugs))

Spends:
    Vet - £40 (+ £8.50 owed to DS4)
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    OMG you're back Robin!!!!!! I'm so glad as I was heartbroken when you stopped posting. I'm back after an absence too and will subscribe immediately. This has made my day!!!!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • *Robin*
    edited 3 September 2016 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Hello Hopefuljoy, :hello: Lovely to 'see' you again too! :D

CD is already feeling much better; am heartily grateful for the marvels of modern medicine known as antibiotics! :)
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Robin, just catching up with your diary at the end of my holiday - been happily internet free for ages. Hope CD is turning a corner now - lurcher lad stayed home and I've missed him badly - the DDs have been sharing hound-care duties though so I'm sure he'll have had a great time. Am I right in thinking PNH is likely to soon be actual NH? You sound as though you're pretty settled there in your mind if you're planning crops ��
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family