We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How can we kill tree roots??

Options
Doing some gardening and wondered if there was anything you can put onto the roots of trees to kill them off completely....or do you have to dig them up?
When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    Options
    Cynic that I am, my first question would be - who do the trees and the roots belong to?
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    How big are the trees?
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • ems2
    ems2 Posts: 665 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to Hijack the thread but i need help with this too and my answers are:
    Me
    & tree is knee height & a sycamore but roots are creeping under the house (not sure how far under already..)
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After felling two dead trees in my garden, im still stuck with the deep roots, ive dug and chopped up as much as i can, but not completely removed them. someone once told me to saturate them with used engine oil, but for some strange reason I didnt think that would be healthy for the garden as a whole.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Doing some gardening and wondered if there was anything you can put onto the roots of trees to kill them off completely....or do you have to dig them up?

This stuff works a treat.
    I had 17 leyllandii trees to "remove". I cut the trunks off 6" below ground level, drilled the stumps and filled the drill holes and covered the top of the stump with this stuff.
    Beats pulling the roots out and its bio degradable to ;)

http://www.growingsuccess.org.uk/detail.asp?ID=Deep+Root%AE+Tree+Stump+and+Weed+Killer&cat=Deep_Root
  • betterbargains4u
    Options
    alanobrien wrote: »
    This stuff works a treat.
    I had 17 leyllandii trees to "remove". I cut the trunks off 6" below ground level, drilled the stumps and filled the drill holes and covered the top of the stump with this stuff.
    Beats pulling the roots out and its bio degradable to ;)

http://www.growingsuccess.org.uk/detail.asp?ID=Deep+Root%AE+Tree+Stump+and+Weed+Killer&cat=Deep_Root

Many thanks for this. Just what we need.

:j :j :j
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i looked at that site as i have the same problems but couldnt find a way to price it ? no doubt i am doing it wrong but can anyone help me find out the price how i purchase etc thanks
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesnt actually rot or remove the root according to the site, Frustratingly, im half tempted to use dynamite :)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    i looked at that site as i have the same problems but couldnt find a way to price it ? no doubt i am doing it wrong but can anyone help me find out the price how i purchase etc thanks

You can get it in B&Q cost depends on packet size but the last lot i got cost about £5. I used some on a single leyllandii stump about 3 years ago and that has now rotted away into the ground.....nice mulch....
  • Wow I need that to kill all the brambles off on my allotment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport