How long for grant of probate

Options
Sadly I lost my mum recently.

I am the executor.i have put all the forms in and sent appropriate documents ( solicitors have renounced there responsibility).

I sent everything off three weeks ago but have heard nothing back.....I hoped there might be a way of tracking everything? It should be straight forward as nothing was complex and estate small. The only matter could be that one beneficiary is 17years old?

The house sold within 24 hours to a first time buyer so I am worried about anything going wrong.

Can anyone reassure me?

Comments

• twohooter_2
    twohooter_2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2016 at 4:32PM
    Options
    Hello Waveycat. I am very sorry for your loss.

I am currently administering my Grandmother's estate. After submitting the application forms it took about 7 days to hear back from them. Thy sent a document to be sworn at either a solicitors office for a fee or the local court for free (being very MS, I chose this option which was very straightforward). The local court returned the sworn form direct to the probate office and then I heard back with the grant after 14 days. I understand that I was lucky and the process can take several weeks. I would not worry if it has only been three weeks. I suggest you wait another week and if you haven't heard anything then give them a call. Bear in mind that there will be a further waiting period after you have sworn the document - your estate agent should be made aware of this as obviously the sale of the property cannot proceed until the grant has been received. Good Luck.
  • waveycat
    waveycat Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2016 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Thank you.....such a horrible time.

My head is all over the place...

Your message is very reassuring. Thank you for your time.

Would anyone know if having a child inherit something makes a difference to the process. Somebody mentioned that there may be a need for two executors?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2016 at 9:44PM
    Options
    waveycat wrote: »
    Sadly I lost my mum recently.

I am the executor.i have put all the forms in and sent appropriate documents ( solicitors have renounced there responsibility).

I sent everything off three weeks ago but have heard nothing back.....I hoped there might be a way of tracking everything? It should be straight forward as nothing was complex and estate small. The only matter could be that one beneficiary is 17years old?

The house sold within 24 hours to a first time buyer so I am worried about anything going wrong.

Can anyone reassure me?
    You cannot sell the house until you have probate. The minor (child under 18) cannot inherit so the money due to them has to be held in trust until they are 18. If it is only for a few months then you could simply delay payment until then, Alternative a parent could hold it in a n interest bearing account.As for the delay it mainly depends on how busy the particular Probate Office is.
  • waveycat
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I realise the house sale will only be able to go through after the probate is complete.

The beneficiary is my son. It is only a small amount that he will inherit and he will be 18 in two months. I don't want to delay anything and jeopardise the house sale....
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    waveycat wrote: »
    Thank you. Yes I realise the house sale will only be able to go through after the probate is complete.

The beneficiary is my son. It is only a small amount that he will inherit and he will be 18 in two months. I don't want to delay anything and jeopardise the house sale....
    Noted. In which case it is unlikely you will have the money before his birthday. As I am sure you know the house sale is not certain until the contracts are exchanged. Fingers crossed!
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 July 2016 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Oops, sorry. Misunderstood your question.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • waveycat
    Options
    Thank you again......it's really if I will have to have another executor appointed as probate court will not be aware that he turns 18soon.....it simply asks if a beneficiary is under 18.....
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Options
    I know little about trusts and someone else will confirm whether my understanding is correct or not.

You don't need another executor to proceed with the probate and managing the deceased's estate. Indeed, executors are appointed by the will, and you can't introduce someone completely different if one executor has renounced.

In the situation where some funds are held 'in trust' for a minor, I suspect you may need two trustees to 'manage' that particular fund. The executor could appoint another trustee alongside themself, or two completely different people (typically the parents of the minor) as trustees.

But if your son will be 18 in 2 months, I think this is all academic; he will be 18 before you have the funds to distribute. So I don't think you need to worry at all.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    You don't need to worry. Two trustees, not two executors, might be needed if the child was younger.
  • waveycat
    Options
    Thank you again....I really appreciate your reassurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure