After using a ppi claims company do you have to pay them?

Options
After using a ppi claims company do you have to pay them if you take the paperwork to the bank and the bank pays you directly?

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not entirely sure,but from reading posts on here,I think what happens is the payment goes to them,they take their cut,THEN you get the rest.They don't do anything you can't do yourself,so you would be much better off doing it yourself.
    Good luck.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes - if you engaged them to post your complaint off and pay for the stamp and envelope, you need to pay them.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,008 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2016 at 8:31PM
    Options
    If you did not sign to give the company authority to make the claim and you just took the PPI claim form from the company into the bank,you have no contract so the answer is no.

If you signed giving authority then you have to pay them the fee based on any redress you may receive. The bank will notify the claims co of the redress,if you do not pay the fee they will pursue this relentlessly.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you signed a contract, then yes, you will hve to pay them, otherwise, they'll take you to court.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are two possible exceptions to this.

If the claims company's authorisation from the Claims Regulator is withdrawn, the contract it has with you will automatically terminate.

If it has not secured an offer of redress by that time then it will not be able to secure the win needed to entitle it to payment under a No Win No Fee agreement.

The other is if the product provider revisits the case and offers further redress after the original complaint was settled. This is because the original settlement ended the contract with the CMC.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    from reading posts on here,I think what happens is the payment goes to them,they take their cut,THEN you get the rest.
    No.
    The Bank pays the restitution direct to the customer.
    The Claims Company then bills the customer for around a third (plus VAT) of the total refunded.
    They don't do anything you can't do yourself,so you would be much better off doing it yourself.
    Yes.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not entirely sure,but from reading posts on here,I think what happens is the payment goes to them,they take their cut,THEN you get the rest.They don't do anything you can't do yourself,so you would be much better off doing it yourself.
    Good luck.

The vast majority of banks and card providers pay the redress direct to consumer. The claims company then bills the consumer for their fee plus VAT.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure