PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• BB, that is one seriously unimpressed cat :rotfl:

Sometimes, you have to be cruel to be kind.

Anyway, she didn't scratch my face off overnight, so I think we're good. :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Thanks for the link jk0 :D
    And thanks maryb, just watched yours!

I remember our Siamese hooking a firm paw round my Mum's hand, pulling it towards her and starting to lick the icecream Mum was holding!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :rotfl:At the thought of all these cats with an eye for the main chance (ie food):rotfl:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would not call it "a bit" depressing!!! I would call it an avalanche but sadly not a total surprise.

In olden days people had gold or silver coins which were hidden in skirt hems or disguised as jewellery. Now the most we can do is try to avoid debt and not fall into a credit trap.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I'd been reading about the plans to reduce the deposit protection scheme and arrange the framework for bail-ins on ZH. It's amazing how such monumental changes slip under the notice of the mainstream media.

The Guardian is too engrossed in looking for the brexit-bashing angle on everything possible (including the weather, if it's a hard winter, it's all your fault it you voted Leave, y'know) and the Daily Fail is too busy fawning on royalty/ promoting Z list celebrities to do anything useful.

I feel a disturbance in The Force and may take myself off to my banking institution tomorrow to remove some bits of fiat plastic with a view to turning them into something useful - corned beef and sardines, prolly.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ

There is a book I read ages ago called " Dancing on Vesuvius"
    which talked about financial collapse etc. It led me to paying off a credit card every month in full, only having credit if it was 0%, paying off the mortgage early and saving whatever I could. I think the book was in the eighties but the principles are sound.

I had to battle DH initially as what I was suggesting was against what everyone else was doing. Fortunately he had been a Maths lecturer so when I suggested anything I asked him to look at the maths and then he felt it was his idea.

He eventually got so on board with the idea that he used to ask me
    "Are we economising?" "Er Why?" Reply "Because we are eating better!" I would then admit we had some unexpected bills so I was making home made pizzas. quiches, soups . stuffed mushrooms and wedges etc.

DDs tease me because I have stores but I remember being unable to buy candles, bread, coffee, flour, salt, sugar etc during the seventies and eighties and the power strikes and three day week. Even nowadays stores are useful like when the bridge collapsed and I had no power two years ago or when the water supply was interrupted.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ

I cannot stomach sardines any more but things like cans of soup, corned beef, vegetables. luncheon meat are always useful.

A few years ago I froze butter at about 80 pence and DH thought I was potty. A few months later he realised I was not as crazy as he thought as the price had gone up by 50%.

In 1999 he heard Richard Madely talk about his millenium cupboard
    and was determined to do the same - I let him decide what to stock and the year later we ploughed our way through sardines, baked beans and corned beef !!!
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    GQ
    A few years ago I froze butter at about 80 pence and DH thought I was potty. A few months later he realised I was not as crazy as he thought as the price had gone up by 50%.
    I keep doing things like that but there is a limit to what you can store in a teeny cottage. On economising generally, I don't know about anyone else but while my income sources have been the same over the past few years and have theoretically gone up with inflation, these days I am barely treading water. Whereas previously I was even able to save. :(
    I sometimes watch these programmes on TV about cutting your spending but it's depressing. The families featured tend to be 'easy meat' - ie they buy the most expensive branded products and a lot of convenience products. It's a bit like those personal makeover programmes where they take someone in dog eared leggings - give them a decent haircut and new clothes and of courses there's a difference! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure