PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D Tin Hats are the new accessory for your WiFi router - I expect a modern edition of Bloo Peeter would tell you how to make the best one. Could be useful for some of us? :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you, GQ; it should now be possible to direct the signal away from places (and susceptible individuals) too! However finding the info in the Daily Wail might mean that some of my beloved family may refuse to take it entirely seriously, just as they laughed at my claims that our old router kept me awake & gave me headaches.

Mind you it took me a while to find the article, but it kept me well-entertained...
    Angie - GC June 24: £309.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guess I'm not the only one? :)

There's always the option of having the router connected with wires Angie. My modem is a speedtouch 330, and it connects to a USB socket, from which it derives its power. Therefore, it is shut off when my computer is off.

They are under a fiver on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292240403821?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=47759957459&rlsatarget=pla-434454803167&abcId=1128936&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=1007009&device=c&campaignid=856939856&crdt=0
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    According to a report in today's paper, it's not just suppliers you can have trouble switching, with a smart meter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-5060141/Why-smart-meter-stop-microwave-working.html

We have a smartmeter and our microwave works just fine. As does ours neighbours' stairlift, and they have a smartmeter too.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p I'm old skool enough to have an ethernet cable - phone socket is right beside the pooter desk and I don't need a wi-fi network, I'm hardly going to carting this huge desktop pc into the bedroom with me.

One time the Computer Wizard was here cruising for wi-fi networks with a dongle and there were about a dozen within reach all, unsportingly, passworded. I must be living in an electonic soup, wonder how healthy that is?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Tin Hats are the new accessory for your WiFi router

Maybe they should be the accessory for the smart meter. :)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well - here's how NOT to do it: go to L!dls & the wholesalers, stock up, open boot, let an entire avalanche of tins, bottles etc. fall straight out onto the car park... needless to say, the fabric conditioner bottle broke and everything is incredibly slippery & smells horribly floral
    Ha ha try drenching your wallet with the stuff. For a while I had very fragrant bank notes but the longest lasting effect was on my debit card - which developed a tendency to stick on the way out of cash machine slots - needing to be pulled out by force!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When was the last time you needed Prepping, honestly now?

I did during a storm recently. Found the candles and the torches and had the power banks all charged up. But we had been warned by the Met Service.

No doubt Doomsday will arrive when I haven't done enough! Hope not.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We should all try a dry run. Switch off the mains after dark. Pretend you have to get out fast. See what a mess you get into trying to find medicines/money/documents/bank cards/clothes/shoes etc in the dark!
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ............ and, if you want to make it really interesting .... practice your fire escape plan in the dark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport