PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    If you're that way inclined. Personally, I pay my bill, play my part, live harmoniously amongst others and live my life happily without extra problems. We're all different, of course.

We went with fuddles option, yes we could have got someone out and asked neighbour's to share a bill but on Christmas Eve when it's raining and miserable and the neighbour's you strongly suspect of being the culprit is not the most approachable of people you just suck it up. They have now moved and other neighbour's have commented that it's a shared pipe so if there was another problem just to let them know but it's easier to have the rods and diy than involve unnecessary expense and possible neighbourly unrest.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Each to their own on that one.

I was amused by friends attitude when she visited yesterday. I've been sussed as:
    - I will not pay out for anything that someone else is supposed to pay for on the one hand. I can spend my own money fast enough - without someone else spending it for me:rotfl:
    - But you've only got to ask if you want something of mine if it looks like I don't want it anymore and you'll be walking off down the road with it and thought hasnt crossed my mind to charge for it
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Me too MrsMoney. If it's something about my house that we can sort ourselves then we'll do it, regardless of who started it. I couldn't settle with the thought of fighting for one person to pay a bill for something that we all have to chip into when it could be peanuts split amongst the street. I have learned that peace and harmony is worth more than money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We are the first house on a pipe that serves the six houses that were built on the 1 acre plot when it was sold. We own drain rods, there have been several occasions when the drains have blocked further down the line and backed up as far as the manhole on the front lawn. He Who Knows and all the other men who live in these 6 houses just get it sorted using our rods, community involvement, community action and good co operation ensures there is ALWAYS help to be had if a problem occurs. Good relations can't be paid for only forged by mutual co operation.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Obviously what applies in our neck of the woods may well be different to what applies in yours, but if the drain outside your house is overflowing, your first move ought to be to contact whoever you pay your sewerage charge to.

Round here, the basic rule is that if the manhole nearest your outside wall is blocked, the water company will sort things out without charging you. Otherwise, according to their website, if it's the first time you've called them about a blocked drain at your address, they'll try for 30 minutes to clear it without cost to you. If it's still bunged up, you need to get a contractor in at your expense.

For the sake of a free phone call, you might well save yourself money as well as hassle ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: Crazy windy here today, we've got the arboriculturalists running around the city assessing downed and partially downed trees. Some of which have landed on homes and cars and across roads.Even some phone cables have blown down.

Roof tiles and fences and sheds are flying, this is the worst windstorm we've had for some time. Spare a thought for those stalwarts out there with chainsaws trying to clear several tonnes of timber away from crucial things.

I'm in for the night and staying in, it's flipping rough out there.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Fuddle we have reciprocal arrangements with neighbours, under a factoring agreement. We each do the work we can in our row, some can do more than others, and we chip in and pay together for anything else we need. It's always worked well for us :-)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I think that's how it's been here too wcs. I learned that the only reason we have a road at the back of the house is because the residents clubbed together to get it kerbed and tarmac'd some years ago. My next door neighbour has lived here happily for 47 years.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Surely a preppers mindset must include working in conjunction with other folks to solve problems and fix things to benefit all of them? It's going to be very hard for lone individuals to manage without the assistance of others in times of crisis and I would have thought that learning how to co-operate and work together to a common end was crucial? after all the whole community would benefit from the collective actions and that would make the community more likely to prosper in the long run?
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Fuddle that's really great -being part of a strong community brings real resilience - everyone is included for their strengths and weaknesses and everyone flourishes in ways that matter. I bet that road at the back of your house is cherished and cared for since it was hard won. Sounds like a lovely place you've moved too, very much suited to your values :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure