PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lyn: Someone we know has published a book called something like "Scandinavian Wood Stacking."
    Apparently it is like an art form.
    Get practising.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Lyn: Someone we know has published a book called something like "Scandinavian Wood Stacking."
    Apparently it is like an art form.
    Get practising.

x

Knowing my OH thats exactly the type of thing he would enjoy lol

Will have a look for his next birthday.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    For MrsLW's scenario we would have to go into camping mode.
    The camping loo (camp chair with no seat and container with sawdust under) then bury it which is pretty much what my granddad did for his family back in the 1920's. Pee can be caught separately and composted
    We have various cooking strategies..there is the washing machine drum in the garden that my son burns his unwanted paperwork on, it could easily have a grid over it to take pans. We also have a kelly kettle and a butane stove and a couple of 'soda can' burners. A coleman petrol stove and an ethanol stove so we could manage reasonably well providing we can get outside or have a window open for the cooking .
    Water wise, there is a water butt and several 'catchment buckets' for rain and the river is a 5 minute trudge (or 2 minute cycle). We would have to filter and or boil the water if it was for drinking.
    For Lighting we have the camp lanterns which are wind-up and the bike lights .There are a few small solar panels that can keep batteries charged up providing there is sunlight and various powerbanks to charge with them.
    For laundry we have a little hand cranked washing drum thing and the wringer although drying clothes in wet stormy conditions wouldn't be pleasant long term .
    Having had 2 power cuts in 2 weeks recently, we have remembered that you do actually need to be able to find various useful things and not just know they are 'somewhere'. :)
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    For a shedful of pictures of nice tidy log stacks, just do a Google image search on "holz hausen" :)

Basic instructions on how to build one are at http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/how-build-beehive-shaped-holz-hausen-wood-pile-video.html
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have the book 'Norwegian Wood' which DD1 got for He Who Knows for Christmas and I got a Scandinavian cookery book about cooking on wood called 'Food from the Fire' by Niklas Ekstedt which is useful for techniques but rather up market in ingredients, I'm not likely to buy in Lobster to experiment either.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a commode in use a few months ago, loaned to us by the NHS - you can line them with plastic bags, when they're used, double bag it and dispose in the dustbin ... it seemed to work. In an emergency - they could be buried, or if it wasn't safe to go out, put in your dustbin/wheelie bin for temporary storage. Not nice, but better than having it around.

The thing about backflow from the sewage system, though - would it only come up through the toilets? Would it come up through sinks and the washing machine? I know the pipes to my washing machine have little valves that I can turn off manually, I guess thats in case of another sort of problem, but I'm just wondering.

I have to do more prepping work in the house, but the amount of garden work I'm doing really tells me how unprepared I am to grow more than the perennials I already have :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Culpepper, I envy you that little washing machine - I've been trying to buy one for years, but they always seem to be "out of stock" wherever I look, except in the US and I suspect the import duty would be horrendous! You can imagine the mayhem in a household of 7 (including a dancer and a footballer) when our big beastie (a 10.5Kg Bosch) has been out of order for more than a couple of days...
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My head isn't working just now MrsL so I canny think how we would deal with that scenario - but we are all sorted apart from water. I don't know either if sewage would come up the sink or into the washing maching.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Culpepper, I envy you that little washing machine - I've been trying to buy one for years, but they always seem to be "out of stock" wherever I look, except in the US and I suspect the import duty would be horrendous! You can imagine the mayhem in a household of 7 (including a dancer and a footballer) when our big beastie (a 10.5Kg Bosch) has been out of order for more than a couple of days...

They are quite pricey new (about 100) but they do have them on ebay if you search wonder wash.
    We've had ours since about 1984 and I think it was £30 back then .
    Twas super useful when the machine died and I had 2 kids in nappies but I still use it in the summer for hand washes even now.
    No spin facility though.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ref the sewage system packing up, it's always a good idea to have a plan. Then when you notice that the manhole on the front of your place is discharging effluent down the road, you call out the appropriate bods, and they discover that the pipe from your place to the sewer in the road outside has collapsed and it's going to take a few days to fix, you won't start flapping.

The key is to master the art of keeping your own personal liquid production separate from your solids, in order to make disposal easier ;)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure