Leak in house (bathroom)

Options
Evening

In the past month we have had five pipe bursts in our road, it now looks like a patchwork quilt with all the repairs as the pavements have literally lifted so high.
So after the last one and yet another day without water, quite an occurrence no water on a Sunday in our Road, the water finally came back on at 7pm, I turned the kitchen tap and it literally shuddered with the force of water coming out, I quickly turned it off. A bit later I ran a bath that tap was okay, but then I turned on the tap at the sink and it literally exploded water out of it, turned that off and left it a while.
When my partner got up the next morning all water from the bathroom tap (seal had gone I think) had dripped all night into my kitchen, directly beneath, my units have split the induction hob wont work and my worktops are split and warped (plus it pongs)
Contacted the insurance, they sent out an assessor??? who said we would have to pay £550 upfront as it is water damage and he would give us £600 towards, so I then put this back to the Company and said if they think I can refit nearly my whole kitchen for that they are welcome to do it. They then sent someone else out who would do the work, he couldn't believe how immaculate my kitchen actually had been prior to the leak, I'm gutted because its ruined. So he said everything that would need to be done down to tiles having to be replaced when they try to move the units etc... so this has been two weeks since I have heard anything, I am wondering firstly does anyone have any idea will the insurance do all the work, and secondly do I have a claim against United Utilites, I have asked them for a form because I think the least they can do is pay our excess, they have said they will not admit liability as yet, but have left messages on both mine and my partners phone re the work they are trying to do on our road to lower the water pressure, trying to fit something or other.

Many thanks
Sam
Sam B

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You can try a claim against UU but I foresee 3 stumbles. First proving UU caused the leak. Second UU could say you had a duty of care to turn off taps and be careful, Third UU could say the joint blew because it was not sufficiently tight - hence they will throw this back at you.

If I were in your position I would give it a try, but knowing the odds were 50:50 at best. Really leaks are one for one's own insurance, and that should really be the route you follow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure