Help with Pa1 probate form

Options
Hi
Mum passed away 10 days ago, she left a will naming me and brother as executers.
Have been to the bank today, and they will not release any money, because of the size of the estate.
They have given me a summary of all acvouts, isa etc, however i have encounted my first problem

On form pa1 question 2.7 it asks for full name followed by asset. Do i put the amount in each account under asset.

2nd prob is premium bonds. The full £50k amount has been left to the four grand children. Under specific instructions that they were to invest it, and not spend it here there and every where. All grandchildren are between the ages of 23 and 16. My brother and i have made the decission to let the pb contine running for a year. Nsi, have agreed to do this, paying any winnings into a seperate account, along with the 50k at the end of the yeAr. Do i include this as an asset, in 2.7 or is that bit just for bank accounts.
SWAGBUCKS STTD 10/11/2013
CASHED OUT £145

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You need the IHT forms for the estate assets.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2016 at 10:29PM
    Options
    mum1964 wrote: »
    Hi
    Mum passed away 10 days ago, she left a will naming me and brother as executers.
    Have been to the bank today, and they will not release any money, because of the size of the estate.
    They have given me a summary of all acvouts, isa etc, however i have encounted my first problem

On form pa1 question 2.7 it asks for full name followed by asset. Do i put the amount in each account under asset.

2nd prob is premium bonds. The full £50k amount has been left to the four grand children. Under specific instructions that they were to invest it, and not spend it here there and every where. All grandchildren are between the ages of 23 and 16. My brother and i have made the decission to let the pb contine running for a year. Nsi, have agreed to do this, paying any winnings into a seperate account, along with the 50k at the end of the yeAr. Do i include this as an asset, in 2.7 or is that bit just for bank accounts.
    You need to include all assets on the probate forms. Exactly what does the will say about the legacies to the grandchildren. The restrictions may not be enforceable and those to any under 18 will be held in trust until they are 18.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yo need to include all assets on the probate forms. Exactly what does the will say about the legacies to the grandchildren. The restrictions may not be enforceable and those to any under 18 will be held in trust until they are 18.

Such a clause sounds totally unenforceable.
  • mum1964
    mum1964 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    You need to include all assets on the probate forms. Exactly what does the will say about the legacies to the grandchildren. The restrictions may not be enforceable and those to any under 18 will be held in trust until they are 18.

The will states that the value of the premium bonds £50k be divided between the four grandchildren, who are all named in full. There is only one grandchild under the age of 18. Even when the pbs are surrended hewill just turn 17.
    CASHED OUT £145
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    you may be exceeding your powers as executor/trustees by holding back the PB of the beneficiaries for the full year without their agreement.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I think all the beneficiaries need to be 18 to release the money and ignore restrictive clauses, but I suppose the bequest could be seen as 4 seperate bequests of £12,500.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    I think all the beneficiaries need to be 18 to release the money and ignore restrictive clauses, but I suppose the bequest could be seen as 4 seperate bequests of £12,500.
    Beneficiaries cannot be paid if they are under 18 and those funds have to be held in trust you till they are. The exact wording of the will needs to be seen to decide if the restrictions are enforceable.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    you may be exceeding your powers as executor/trustees by holding back the PB of the beneficiaries for the full year without their agreement.
    The executor has to act in the interests of the estate as a whole. It is their decision when they distribute the estate.
  • mum1964
    mum1964 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for info, its help me get my head in gear.
    CASHED OUT £145
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family