Trouble claiming inheritence (still)

Options
I sent the solicitor who was in charge of my mothers will at the time (11 years ago) my ID which included change of name forms, birth certificate, letters from tax office and benefits agency's and they are saying that i need ID with my old name on, even though i told them in advance that i had changed my name and i held no passport/driving license or any other photographic ID.

This firm of solicitors of the most frustratingly disorganized company i have dealt with (worse than British Gas)

I don't have any ID with my birth name and it would be illegal to get something with it on. What do i do? According to the will i am also supposed to be an executer of the will and no one contacted me

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What name is on your birth certificate?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2016 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Deleted - I need to learn to READ in more detail! Apologies, I'll start again.

Have you tried applying for a birth certificate in your previous name here https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate Not sure what it will prove though.

Surely the "name change form" you referred to would have your previous name on it, no?

You may need to supply more information for others to help you further, unless you were part of a Police protection scheme I can't see how someone can have all their info simply 'changed' with none of the organisations confirming the change. You have a birth certificate in your new name?

To be honest, I can see why the solicitor is wary, though SLOW is unacceptable but you seem to be at a stalemate with them. Have they explained why "photographic ID" is required, surely this may show your name now & what you look like, but how will it show evidence of the named person you claim you once were?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    Options
    Most reasons for changing your names would have some documentation: marriage cert, divorce papers, deed poll, statutory declaration.

If you simply decided to change your name surely banks etc needed some paperwork?

If not, couldn't you just sign a statutory declaration now?
    I believe it can be done with a solicitor. Mine was done through a JP.
    You need something legally witnessed that links your 2 identities, saying something like ' I xxxxxxxxx on birth cert no 12345 am the same person as yyyyyyyyyyy on <whatever documentation you have now> and have used only the name yyyyyyyyyy since dd-mmm-yyyy'.

I would have thought the solicitors dealing with the matter could haveli suggested this, but perhaps it would be better done through an independent solicitor.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    Options
    P.S. It can't possibly be a legal requirement to have photographic ID in your old name. Not everyone has it now, if no driving licence or passport. And who would keep expired passports?

You definitely need to point this out.

I changed my name back in the 1970s before photo driving licences etc, so would never have had this. I do have the statutory declaration.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Options
    Miss Rosebud It is not illegal to get your original birth certificate. In England or Wales ( I am assuming you were born in either ) anyone can request any certificate. It will cost you £ 9.25 from the GRO.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Miss Rosebud It is not illegal to get your original birth certificate. In England or Wales ( I am assuming you were born in either ) anyone can request any certificate. It will cost you £ 9.25 from the GRO.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

How will it help Rosebud to prove she once was known as that person or that it is her certificate? As it stands, this doesn't make sense! :(
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Options
    Because it will show her parents names to prove she is the daughter of the woman she says was her mother.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    I sent the solicitor who was in charge of my mothers will at the time (11 years ago) my ID which included change of name forms, birth certificate, letters from tax office and benefits agency's and they are saying that i need ID with my old name on, even though i told them in advance that i had changed my name and i held no passport/driving license or any other photographic ID.

Doesn't the change of name form show your birth name and the new name that you took on?

Your birth certificate would then complete the trail, giving your name and your mother's details.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Can your father, brother, sister or cousin(or aunt/uncle) help you identify yourself adequately for the solicitors? Any or all connected to your mother?
  • missrosebud
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, it's all been very hectic where i am.
    I did legally change my name via dead poll each time, i don't talk my family as they are not very nice people (really not nice).

I went to Manchester last week and found the person who was in charge of the will. I was worried as the will did not look very professional even though it was done at a solicitor, the names spelt wrong, bits added in and scribbled out, it was like the solicitor had no care as to the job she was trusted to do.

The executer of the will did turn out to be a nice lady who was friends with my mum and did make sure she was ok at work and home. My mum had left my father (very bad man) and had her own home. I was told he went against the will by emptying out my mums home and taking property and jewellery on the day she died. My mum was split from my father but the divorce had not gone through yet.

The lady in charge of the will told the solicitor that my father went against the will but the solicitor did nothing to stop him or get the property back, my father was written out of the will so he shouldn't have touched anything as the lady who was in charge of the will was supposed to sort out my mothers affairs.

My family tried to put her in a cheap coffin but the lady in charge of the will went for the most expensive and prettiest one there was :) The executer is afraid of my family and she has a right to be, but surely the solicitor should have dealt with the matter. This event took place 11 years ago, i only found out that my mum died this year by chance on via genes reunited.

The lady that i spoke to told me she had a good life after she left the family and had proper friends and even a job in a hospital which she loved, and i was happy to know this and glad she did not suffer. She told me she knows who i am and knows why i changed my name (she's met the family) and will talk to the solicitor. She also said that the solicitor had a detective looking for me, which i doubt as my national insurance number has stayed the same and my sister and brother both used the salvation army tracing people thingy who sent me letters in 2013 and 2015 asking me if i was such and such but i did not reply as they are not nice people. Never had a letter from anyone else looking for me.

I do not want to meet or be in contact with my family and getting to Manchester from Birmingham is a struggle. I have yet to speak to the solicitor in person. The six times i have called her i have only spoken to the secretary. This is most frustrating. I want to make sure my mothers friend get's what my mother wished to happen in her will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure