Housing Benefit whilst off sick and on SSP?

Options
Hello, I just wondered if anybody knowledgeable could advise me.

I suffer from bad depression, I take medication and see my GP every week, She asks me if I'd like some time off work every time I go but I always resist because A - It's good for me to get out of the house, and B - I need the money.

I work full time and i just about manage to force myself to go in to work, although every moment of it is a struggle. Its a horrible job, in a horrible environment and is one of the reasons why I am so depressed.

Recently my mum died, we were very close and it has hit me really hard. and I am really struggling to cope. I had a week off when she died and i went back this week I thought it would help to get back into a routine, but if anything its made me feel worse.

I want to know, If i accept time off and get my GP to sign me off work for a while, I'll get Statutory Sick Pay, which is not enough to live one. Would I be eligible to apply for Housing Benefit whilst I am off sick to help me pay my rent? I would only get the LHA Shared rate of around £53.00 per week but at least it is something.

The only other options are resigning and applying for JSA/HB which would probably get sanctioned or being dismissed for poor performance or something.

I am male, late 20's, single, no dependents, not currently receiving any benefits and i do not have any savings.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    If you could afford rent when you moved in and haven't claimed HB in the last 52 weeks you will receive 13 weeks protection - i.e. full rent figure will be used in the calculation before the SRR rate figure is used.

The amount if HB you get will depend on the amount of SSP you receive.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure