Stair lifts

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
10 replies 1.6K views
wilson1973wilson1973 Forumite
420 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
My mother needs a stair lift,has anyone got any advice on reputable companies,I have already had a home visit from Stannah,but would like to get a few more quotes,she has a straight stair case,I'm not sure if there are big differences in prices

Replies

• convertedconverted Forumite
    152 Posts
    try the local social services first, she would require an assessment from an OT before it would be recommended. I do not know how long it would take, they probably have a waiting list for OT assessments. But no harm in giving them a call and asking what is involved in the process.
  • skeggysteveskeggysteve Forumite
    134 Posts
    Do not use one of the national companies, use a small local company they will be a lot cheaper.
  • wilson1973wilson1973 Forumite
    420 Posts
    Hi Thanks,I will look at that but I think they will only help if she has savings below a ceratin threshold
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As she's got a simple, straight staircase, I'd look at second hand or reconditioned stairlifts, many of which have had very little use. You can buy them on Ebay and there are also companies that offer them reconditioned and fitted.

http://www.assuredstairlifts.co.uk/

I really wouldn't buy one new.
    420 Posts
    Thanks yes I will look at that to have a reconditioned unit from Stannah was £800 cheaper
  • CyclamenCyclamen Forumite
    550 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    When I looked for myself and this was 4-5 yrs ago as I now live in a bungalow i found stannah and acorn very very expensive.

Having seen one installed and taken out I think a normal electrician/handyman would be able to do it.. there didnt seem much involved and I have friends whose husbands fitted hers. So perhaps looking on ebay if you can arrange transport would be an option.

I chose to buy a reconditioned stair lift from a localish company, I had straight stairs too and the whole thing fitted I believe was about £5-600. So if absolutely shop around.

Social services in my area had a very long waiting list for all but the most urgent to have a stair lift fitted, i think it varies a lot by county.
  • BettieBettie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It was the extortionate maintenance/insurance/servicing and spare parts that cost us a fortune. Dad only used it for a few months and then it cost a bomb to keep it in place and working 'just in case mum needed it" ..she didn't, eventually paying someone to take a barely used one away. At the time we thought about renting one as we knew Dad wouldn't live long.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    converted wrote: »
    try the local social services first, she would require an assessment from an OT before it would be recommended.
    wilson1973 wrote: »
    I think they will only help if she has savings below a ceratin threshold

My parents paid for their own stairlift but they had an assessment by an OT first and she gave them guidelines on which features to look for when the salesmen came round.

Some of the salesmen were reminiscent of the old double-glazing menaces - avoid any who behave like that or you will end up spending much more than necessary.
    420 Posts
    Thanks for your time,it's appreciated
    420 Posts
    I know what you mean,thanks for your advice
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants