DMP & Letting Agent Credit Checks

Sorry to ask this again, I know it's been answered in the past but I'm just after an up-to-date clarification.

We are two years into a DMP so inevitably have a number of defaults and poor credit ratings.

Due to family illness we need to move house. We will need to rent and will more than likely use an agent.

Is it still the case that as long as we don't have CCJs, IVA or bankruptcy (which we don't), we will pass an estate agent credit check? We have lived in our existing property 4 years and always paid the rent on time so no problems with references as long as the current landlord doesn't take the huff when we leave!
Making £1,000 plus every month from home :T

Replies

• sarahb7538sarahb7538 Forumite
    135 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    As far as I am aware Estate Agents can only access the public records part of your credit file. So as you say will only be able to see CCJs, bankruptcy, IVA etc.

I was on a DMP and had lots of defaults but non of the above, so passed with no problems x
    March 2017 - Debt Free- cleared £21,750

On a mission to repair my credit rating & own my own home
  • cmcavoncmcavon Forumite
    316 Posts
    sarahb7538 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware Estate Agents can only access the public records part of your credit file. So as you say will only be able to see CCJs, bankruptcy, IVA etc.

I was on a DMP and had lots of defaults but non of the above, so passed with no problems x

Thank you, I'll try to stop worrying now then and when we find somewhere we'll just go for it, so glad we didn't go down the IVA route in the end which we were seriously considering at the time.

Really appreciate your help, thank you :D
    Making £1,000 plus every month from home :T
  • sarahb7538sarahb7538 Forumite
    135 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    No problem, I remember how worried I was about it until another MSE'er put me straight.

Good luck finding your new place :)
    March 2017 - Debt Free- cleared £21,750

On a mission to repair my credit rating & own my own home
  • Hello,

I am in a similar situation myself. Is this definatly the case regardless of which referencing agency they use as they sound as though they offer a lot more which is what concerns me?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    33.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this definatly the case regardless of which referencing agency they use as they sound as though they offer a lot more which is what concerns me?

What does this mean?
  • PotenPoten Forumite
    54 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Landlords should not be able to get hold of payment information unless you give it to them. Experian have said as much on here. Landlords dont provide payment data, so they have no right to access it.

They can still see CCJs and Bankruptcies though. Not sure about other things but defaults they definitely CANT see.

If they do end up seeing anything, submit a SAR request (so you can see the information they accessed on you under the DPA, fee £10). If there is anything on there they should not have seen, go after the firm that provided the reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides