Help with Bully Landlord please!

edited 30 June 2016 at 9:48AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
10 replies 2.1K views
BargainHunterCatBargainHunterCat Forumite
465 Posts
edited 30 June 2016 at 9:48AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hello, I urgently need some help! I need to check my legal rights because my landlord is a nasty bully!

I have 2 points I need answers for if any of you can help.

1. Basically, we are renting our home through a private landlord, the property has a "garden" if you can call it that, which is basically a field which has no border between us and next door. It's covered with meadow grass and weeds, not laid to lawn properly and very difficult to maintain as a result.

We've been working on cutting the grass but couldn't do the last bit at the end because our 30m extension cable wasn't long enough and the grass got a bit long. We didn't have enough money to buy new equipment last month as it was a bit tight.

We emailed the landlord about a week ago about something unrelated and she emailed back saying the grass was too long and the "neighbour had complained" basically our neighbour (her garden isn't the one next door, we know him and he's cool) is the landlord's best mate who is a nasty little spy for her. The landlord is a local farmer and landowner who we've been told is not liked by anyone in the village because she throws her weight around and it extremely rude to people - no social skills!

She said in the email that if we didn't mow it, she'd send somebody round and do it at our expense. We emailed back to ask how much that would be so we could think about it because it's difficult to maintain. She responded with the price and said somebody would attend immediately - not what we asked for.

We responded immediately (2 days ago) to say NO THANKS, we will sort it out ourselves.

But lo and behold her operatives are here on our property TODAY without our consent, mowing the grass.

Coincidentally, we emailed her last night to give notice (we are really at the end of our tether)

Now, am I right in thinking that she has no right allow her operatives to enter our property (which includes the garden) without our express consent? These are not "emergency repairs" it's just a bit of grass, and we live in the middle of the countryside so it's hardly an eyesore! We specifically said we would do it ourselves and said NO to her sending somebody around.

I know for a fact she will now try to get costs for this deducted from our deposit and I'm furious. We keep the property in very good condition other than that silly field which wasn't quite perfect!

2. She is also today demanding to come and inspect on Saturday. We've told her that day is not convenient and we will offer her another date and time. We have my partner's kids this weekend and that is not OK. It would be very disruptive. Presumably we have the right to insist on another day?

There was no inventory carried out on the property prior to our taking it on, (so she can't try to do anything there) although it was filthy and we have made significant improvements to the condition and cleanliness. We're not concerned about that, but it would be very inconvenient and disruptive for her to barge in on our weekend with the children.

Any help would be gratefully received right now because she is a nasty bully and I'm really stressed out with it all! Can she get away with this? What are our rights?! :(
Debt 2007 £17k :(

Current Debt approx £7.5k :)

Target - to pay off all debts by 2020 :A

Replies

• csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you evidence everything either in writing preferably or in email form. No inventory means LL is incompetant in protecting their interests.

Did you have your Deposit protected? It is illegal not to
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Pixie5740Pixie5740 Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your LL had no right to mow the lawn and doesn't have any right to get you to pay for someone to mow it. (I'm assuming that there's nothing in your TA to say she can.) If, when you moved out the lawn needed mowing and she had evidence to back this up (such as inventories) then she could have charged you.

Your LL should also give you 24 hours of written notice before entering the property. I take it you have not received any such notice. If she does show up on Saturday just tell her to Foxtrot Oscar in the nicest possible way. Dial 101 if she doesn't get the message and bog off.

Are you able to serve notice by email and have you served notice correctly? See Ending/Renewing an AST for further information.
  • Guest101Guest101
    15.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I urgently need some help! I need to check my legal rights because my landlord is a nasty bully!

I have 2 points I need answers for if any of you can help.

1. Basically, we are renting our home through a private landlord, the property has a "garden" if you can call it that, which is basically a field which has no border between us and next door. It's covered with meadow grass and weeds, not laid to lawn properly and very difficult to maintain as a result.

We've been working on cutting the grass but couldn't do the last bit at the end because our 30m extension cable wasn't long enough and the grass got a bit long. We didn't have enough money to buy new equipment last month as it was a bit tight.

We emailed the landlord about a week ago about something unrelated and she emailed back saying the grass was too long and the "neighbour had complained" basically our neighbour (her garden isn't the one next door, we know him and he's cool) is the landlord's best mate who is a nasty little spy for her. The landlord is a local farmer and landowner who we've been told is not liked by anyone in the village because she throws her weight around and it extremely rude to people - no social skills!

She said in the email that if we didn't mow it, she'd send somebody round and do it at our expense. We emailed back to ask how much that would be so we could think about it because it's difficult to maintain. She responded with the price and said somebody would attend immediately - not what we asked for.

We responded immediately (2 days ago) to say NO THANKS, we will sort it out ourselves.

But lo and behold her operatives are here on our property TODAY without our consent, mowing the grass. - Why not tell them to leave.

Coincidentally, we emailed her last night to give notice (we are really at the end of our tether)

Now, am I right in thinking that she has no right allow her operatives to enter our property (which includes the garden) without our express consent? These are not "emergency repairs" it's just a bit of grass, and we live in the middle of the countryside so it's hardly an eyesore! We specifically said we would do it ourselves and said NO to her sending somebody around.

I know for a fact she will now try to get costs for this deducted from our deposit and I'm furious. We keep the property in very good condition other than that silly field which wasn't quite perfect!

2. She is also today demanding to come and inspect on Saturday. We've told her that day is not convenient and we will offer her another date and time. We have my partner's kids this weekend and that is not OK. It would be very disruptive. Presumably we have the right to insist on another day?

There was no inventory carried out on the property prior to our taking it on, (so she can't try to do anything there) although it was filthy and we have made significant improvements to the condition and cleanliness. We're not concerned about that, but it would be very inconvenient and disruptive for her to barge in on our weekend with the children.

Any help would be gratefully received right now because she is a nasty bully and I'm really stressed out with it all! Can she get away with this? What are our rights?! :(

If she turns up on staurday - Tell (not ask) her to leave and if she refuses get the camera phone out, record it and call the police form another line.
  • fishpondfishpond Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There is a whole load of questions to be asked by ourselves, but.
    Did the LL supply you with the equipment to enable you to cut the grass?
    As there is no inventory, the LL hasn't got anyway of retaining any of your deposit for anything.
    Has your deposit been registered with one of the deposit schemes/ have you had the prescribed information issued?
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • SnooksNJSnooksNJ Forumite
    829 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    What is your landlord charging you because if it's high grass it's better than the alternative of messing around with a gas powered weedwacker with the string breaking every 2 minutes.
  • m0bovm0bov Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you leave the property in like for loike minus fair wear and tear they can FO. You need to behave in a tenant like manor.

The complaint is made by someone without any grounds to complain, you live your life your way.

I would def change the locks (how did they get in?), change the locks on any gates, keep the old locks!

Don't get into communicating with the LL via e-mail, do it in writing. Check your deposit is protected.

Next time someone turns up (LL or contract) ask them to leave. Just call 101.

I would suggest calling 101 NOW and inform them of what has happened and you are expecting a breach of the peace on sat. Get it logged and keep the number. They may even send a PCSO round to speak with you. Don't just wait for sat. You can also speak with shelter, get a letter template to deal with the harassment. Then if LL turns up, pop the letter out of the letter box to them.
  • Thanks everyone, deposit is protected but it wouldn't surprise me if she tried something. Without an inventory there's not much she can do re the house, and to be honest it will be much nicer when we leave than when we arrived! I shan't allow myself to be taken for a ride!

It's such a shame that there are nasty people in this world like her :( there was really no need for her to behave this way, but she is well known for being rude and nasty in the village!

Onwards and upwards!
    Debt 2007 £17k :(

Current Debt approx £7.5k :)

Target - to pay off all debts by 2020 :A
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    598 Posts
    ✭✭
    It amazes me how landlords can treat good tenants like this. If you have looked after the property and paid the rent on time, she should be bending over backwards to keep you.

You learn from your mistakes though - good luck with the move!
  • fishpondfishpond Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    It amazes me how landlords can treat good tenants like this. If you have looked after the property and paid the rent on time, she should be bending over backwards to keep you.

You learn from your mistakes though - good luck with the move!

You have the tenants word that they are the perfect tenants, the truth may not back this up.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    598 Posts
    ✭✭
    fishpond wrote: »
    You have the tenants word that they are the perfect tenants, the truth may not back this up.

Of course, this is very true. My comment was made under the assumption they were telling the truth.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS